Sunday, June 19, 2005

"One Day at a Time" 6-19-05

Good morning, Lord Jesus. Lead me in the ways that lead to life today. ... We came to see my grandfather Hays yesterday, who's struggling in another battle for his life at ninety-six years old. We've always called him "Pawpaw" and spelled it "PaPa." They brought to a room in the hospital where I was born, next to one of the sandy cotton fields like he farmed most of his life outside this little west Texas town of Lamesa. We will be making some hard decisions about his life and the quality of his life. We need Your wisdom and we seek to follow Your ways. Thank You for Your promise to always provide it when we seek it. "If any of you is lacking in wisdom, ask God, Who gives to all generously and ungrudgingly, and it will be given to you" (James 1.5). After I talked to the nurse yesterday, he asked what we were talking about as I held him by the hand. It's hard for him to hear and hard for me to explain, so I said the words that came to mind, "We just need to take it one day at time, PaPa." He looked up toward the ceiling and started singing an old song in his tired, hoarse voice: "One day at a time, sweet Jesus, that's all I'm asking of You." That's all he could remember, so he sang it again, "One day at time, sweet Jesus, that's all I'm asking of You." He smiled and I know You smiled over him. As You said long ago, "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, or about your body, what you will wear.... So do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own. Today's trouble is enough for today" (Matthew 6.25-34). I guess that's Your way of saying, "One day at time." Thank You for the wisdom and the grace You bring each day to meet our needs for that day, one day at a time. In Jesus' name we pray, Amen. Be encouraged this day! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays Friends, we would appreciate your prayers for Nanny and PaPa and our family as we seek the Lord's leading for decisions. This was an unexpected event on our vacation but we are glad to be out in this part of the world to help. God bless you and your family. To subscribe/unsubscribe/reply please send a note to me at Messiah Ministries -- "preparing the way of the Lord" -- MessiahMin@aol.com Our mailing address: 2800 Tates Creek Rd; Lexington, KY 40502. God bless you!