Monday, January 16, 2006

Pray the Psalms 1-16-06

Good morning, Lord Jesus. You are the Word of God. Speak Your Word to my heart and give life to my spirit today. ... The Psalmist writes out his prayer from the depths of his soul in the experiences of his life, saying, "Let this be recorded for a generation to come, so that a people yet unborn may praise the Lord" (Psalm 102:18). The Psalms of Your Word are the cries of the heart of Your people -- sometimes they are cries of pain and sometimes cries of joy. But they are always cries to You. We have come to You with our sorrows and struggles, our celebrations and thanksgivings throughout the ages. We need You. We are lost and alone without You. One of my mentors in prayer was Maxie Dunnam. He only taught one class while I was at Asbury Seminary and he was President for a season. I made sure I was in it, as he shared from his heart of the lessons he learned in ministry. One of those lessons was to "pray the Psalms." He would start with one and read through the songs and prayers until he came to one that touched the place of his soul where he was living at the moment. I find myself doing that often. There is always one that touches the place of my soul where I'm living at the moment. Thank You, Lord, for the generations of Your people who wrote of their pain and their joy, that the generations yet unborn might praise the Lord. And thank You for our fathers and mothers in the faith who have taught us to come to You in the communion of prayer with all of our soul. You are faithful and You are true. And as John Wesley said in his dying words, "The best of all, You are with us." You are with us in Your Word and You us in Your Spirit. Thank You for being with me in the depths of my soul today. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen. Be encouraged this day! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays www.messiah-ministries.org Friends, if you are in the Lexington area, please Come to The Fountain this Saturday night for our monthly, citywide gathering for prayer, praise, and healing worship -- 7 pm in the chapel at Centenary, 2800 Tates Creek Rd. People come from all traditions and denominations for a time of intimate worship in the presence of the Lord as the Holy Spirit leads. Our prayer ministry team will be available throughout the evening for prayer ministry. Come and bring a friend. All are welcome! To subscribe/unsubscribe, or to order my teaching dvd's on healing and wholeness, please send a note to me at Messiah Ministries MessiahMin@aol.com -- "Preparing the Way of the Lord." Our address is 2800 Tates Creek Rd.; Lexington, Kentucky 40502. Daily archives: www.morningbymorning.injesus.com