Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Ashes of Humility 2-6-08

Good morning, Lord Jesus. I humble myself in Your sight, that You may lift me up. ... "Then I turned to the Lord God, to seek an answer by prayer and supplication with fasting and sackcloth and ashes" (Daniel 9:3). Daniel humbled himself in ashes as He turned to You to seek Your face and hear voice for the burdens of his heart. Many within the body of Christ will celebrate this day as Ash Wednesday to mark the beginning of the season of Lent, leading up to the season of the cross. This day is marked by humility more than joy and by repentance more than celebration. Before the joy of the resurrection comes the humility of the Cross. And so it is in the journey of the Christian soul. There are times to be quiet and humble before our God. There are times to set aside the celebration of joy to remember that our joy had a price. We draw near to You only through the blood of Your sacrifice for us. "Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Lament and mourn and weep. Let you laughter be turned into mourning and your joy into dejection. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and He will exalt you" (James 4:8-10). Lord, I am humbled by Your sacrifice of love for me. And in the ashes of the day, I remember the price Your paid to cleanse my hands and purify my heart so that I could know the joy of intimacy with You. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen. Be encouraged today! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays Subscribe free by email to Messiah Ministries -- MessiahMin@aol.com -- "Preparing the Way of the Lord ... Ministering the Healing Love of God" www.messiah-ministries.org 2800 Tates Creek Rd; Lexington, KY 40502 Order our Resources On-Line: www.shop.messiah-ministries.org