Friday, April 18, 2008

The Mat 4-18-08

Good morning, Lord Jesus. Give me a right heart, renew a right spirit in me. Bring my thoughts, my desires, and my actions into line with Yours. ... "When they got out of the boat, people at once recognized Him, and rushed about that whole region and began to bring the sick on mats to wherever they heard He was" (Mark 6:54-55). Mockers and skeptics of the faith say it's just a crutch for those who are too weak to stand by themselves. It's more like a mat. It's only vain pride and arrogance that makes me think I can stand up at all without You. Faith doesn't call us to do our part and then let You do the rest. Faith requires me to humble myself to admit I can do absolutely nothing apart from You that has any lasting value at all. I'm even totally dependent upon You for the very will to want to be healed of the sickness of my sin and freed from the bondage of my will that rebels against Yours (Philippians 2:13). I'm not like the man who can stand up on his own but needs a crutch to walk. Rather, I'm like the man who was completely paralyzed, who couldn't stand up at all, and had to be carried on a mat into the presence of the only One who could forgive him, heal him, free him, and empower him to rise up and walk out his faith in Your power and by Your grace (Mark 2:1-12). I renounce the deception that I can stand at all apart from You, that I have any strength or power to will or to do what is right apart from You. Apart from You, without total, desperate dependence on You, I can do nothing (John 15:5). So I throw down my crutch and lay down on my mat. I renounce my pride and embrace the truth that it's only to the degree that I'm willing to humble myself in Your sight, that You will lift me up (James 4:10). You don’t come to those who claim they are well, but to those who admit their sickness; You don't come to those who claim they are righteous, but to those who admit they have not righteousness apart from You (Mark 2:17). But by the power of Your steadfast love and ever-enduring mercy to all who seek You, I will arise and take up my mat and walk (Mark 2:11). In Jesus' name I pray, Amen. Be encouraged today! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays Come to the Fountain Tonight! Friday Night 4/18 at 7 pm -- the 3rd Friday Night of every month -- for our ministry's monthly gathering of people from many different churches and streams of the body of Christ across our city for prayer, praise, and healing worship. This month Sandra White of Bethlehem Farm Ministries and I will lead in prayer while Phil Jackson will lead in worship. Hosted in the chapel of Centenary: 2800 Tates Creek Rd; Lexington, KY. Please come early for Intercessory Prayer at 6:15. Contact Marilyn at dirofministries@aol.com or 859-422-1794. All are welcome! Friends, our Messiah Ministries Celebration Dinner is May 2nd to Celebration Stories of God's glory, Hear Our Calling, and Join Our Vision! Please come and bring some friends who may have a heart for the vision of our ministry -- "Preparing the Way of the Lord ... Ministering the Healing Love of God." RSVP by 4/25 to Marilyn Walker at 859-317-1591 or DirOfMinistries@aol.com (reservations required). Please spread the word and God bless you for joining with us to accomplish our calling and fulfill our destiny! Subscribe free by email to Messiah Ministries -- MessiahMin@aol.com -- "Preparing the Way of the Lord ... Ministering the Healing Love of God" www.messiah-ministries.org 2800 Tates Creek Rd; Lexington, KY 40502 Order our Resources On-Line: www.shop.messiah-ministries.org