Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Temper, Anger, and Godly Self-Control 5-20-09

Good morning, Lord Jesus. Let God arise in my heart and life today. ... "One who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and one whose temper is controlled than one who captures a city" (Proverbs 16:32). Words are said and left unsaid, things are done and left undone that can touch my temper because it touches my pain. In my sin and insensitivity, I, too often, do the same to others. But there is nothing wrong with being fully aware of our pain or fully alive to our emotions. It's what we do with them that matters. It's how we respond that makes the difference. To control them by denying them is just as wrong in our reaction and response as to allow them to freely flow unchecked and uncontrolled. To stifle, shut down, or detach from our real emotions is just another form of the sin of self-centered control rather than godly self-control. The wisdom of Your Word actually commands us to "be angry" -- "Be angry but do not sin" (Ephesians 4:26). It doesn't say, as many assume, "do not be angry, because that is sin." To the contrary, it says, "Be angry but do not sin." We are to be fully alive to the true emotions and pain of the encounters and circumstances of life. But we are not to be controlled by those emotions and pain. We are to be controlled by Christ, through the deliberate surrender of our emotions and pain to the leading of Your Holy Spirit. The moneychangers in the temple touched Your temper and made You mad. No doubt You were angry when You made a "whip of cords" and "drove them out of the temple" as You "overturned their tables" (John 2:15). You were fully alive to Your emotions and pain, consumed with zeal, but not consumed by Your anger or Your temper (v. 2:17). You were angry but did not sin in Your anger. They touched Your temper, but You did not lose control of Your temper. You released it to the Father and You were led by the Holy Spirit to manage Your emotions and Your temper with godly self-control. Lord, teach me how to do that better. Empower me by Your grace to be fully alive to my emotions, not denying them, but also not letting them consume or control me. "Like a city breached, without wall, is one who lacks self-control" (Proverbs 25:28). I can't control the people and circumstances around me, but I can control my responses by the grace of God and leading of Your Spirit. Then these become opportunities for me to grow in spiritual and emotional maturity. Then my nature becomes more like Your nature, consumed by the zeal of Your Spirit rather than consumed by the zeal of my flesh. Godly "self-control" is a "fruit of the Spirit;" an uncontrolled temper is a fruit of the flesh (Galatians 5:22-23). And I want my life to be filled with Your Spirit, so that I bear the fruit of Your Spirit. So even when You don't change my circumstances, I can trust You to change me. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen. Be encouraged today! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays If you're in the Austin, Texas area, please come to our Healing Conference, May 28-30 at Covenant United Methodist Church in Austin, TX that I'll be leading with Dan Van Nice. I'll be ministering on inner healing and Dan will be ministering on physical healing Thursday night, Friday night, and Saturday. RSVP required (512) 673-2652 oremail Giana: servantsofthemosthighGod@gmail.com A flyer is attached. Please come and spread the word! Friends, please come join us for the Aldersgate'09 Conference on Spirit-filled Living this summer, July 1-5. I'm excited to be a Keynote Speaker this year in Greesboro, NC, preaching the Friday Night message on Healing and also teaching equipping sessions on prayer ministry: http://www.aldersgate09.org/conference-info/keynote-speakers.html Please register on-line now and spread the word! Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. --Matthew 11:28 Women of faith---You are invited to day retreats of spiritual refreshment! These are occurring every month this year and they are beautiful days of renewal and healing led by Laura Beach, Equipping Lydia, in association with Messiah Ministries. Upcoming retreats will be May 26 or 27 in Bryantsville, Kentucky with the focus on “Entering the Rest of Jesus.” Then, there will be a retreat on May 30th in Cartersville, Virginia with the focus on our spiritual “Thirst.” Contact Laura Beach at LauraBBeach@insightbb.com for more details and a list of all the spiritual refreshment dates for 2009. Please share this invitation with any women of faith who may need a day of spiritual renewal and restoration. Subscribe by email to me at Messiah Ministries --MessiahMin@aol.com -- "Preparing the Way of the Lord ... Ministering the Healing Love of God" www.messiah-ministries.org 2800 Tates Creek Rd; Lexington, KY 40502 Daily Archives at: www.morningbymorning.blogspot.com Order our Ministry Resources or Contribute to our vision and calling: www.shop.messiah-ministries.org