Sunday, June 14, 2009

All Things to All People 6-14-09

Good morning, Lord Jesus. I am Yours and You are mine. ... "For though I am free with respect to all, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I might win more of them. To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though I myself am not under the law) so that I might win those under the law. To those outside the law I became as one of those outside the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law) so that I might win those outside the law. To the weak I became weak, so that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that I might by all means save some. I do it all for the sake of the gospel, so that I may share in its blessings (1 Corinthians 9:19-23). I've spent the last few days in a tent, in the mud, with two of my kids and about 20,000 other people at the Ichthus Christian Music Festival just outside of Wilmore, Kentucky, the little town where I live and went to Asbury Seminary, south of Lexington. There was a sea of tents as far as you could see, fanned around the music stages. For the most part, it's not the kind of praise and worship that stirs my spirit, though there were pocket of that as well for some of us "older folks." The t-shirts say "Peace. Love. Loud Music" and it's not false advertising! But the kids love it. And when over a thousand of them responded to the altar calls for salvation and prayer, I know You love it too. Ichthus and this form of high energy, high volume music seems to be one of the ways You're reaching a generation in ways others can't. And I found myself going back and forth from one world to another. I was making some last minute adjustments to be able to be there since my teenage daughter really wanted to go, so you clear the decks for a chance like that. But I was already committed to officiate a wedding at my home church in Lexington. So I washed off the mud, snuck off for a cherished hot shower, changing from shorts to suits for the rehearsal one night and wedding the next. I felt like Paul as I became all things to all people for the sake of the gospel -- literally back and forth from open air preaching and praise to a stain-glassed chapel with quartets and tuxedos. After I prayed the prayer of blessing and sealing of the marriage covenant with the bride and groom, speaking of Christ and His Bride, I headed back to the sea of mud and kids among a slightly different picture of the same Bride of Christ. The same message of faith, hope, and love was being proclaimed just as powerfully, but in such a dramatically different means. As I moved among the masses last night, the Lord reminded me that my name is literally on the title deed of the property on behalf of Ichthus Ministries, since I was Chairman of the Board the year we purchased the property and moved from the old Holiness Camp Meeting grounds on the other side of Wilmore. That mud was my mud! And I thought of the irony that I had just signed my name to the title deed of a marriage when I signed their Certificate of Marriage a few moments before. I laughed out loud to myself of this prophetic picture of how we are all called to be ambassadors of Christ, sharing the life and hope that is within us, no matter where we are, how we're dressed, or who we're among. In that sense, we are to be all things to all people for the sake of Christ. I was moved to think of the honor we have as children of God to share Your peace and love by any means You choose. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen. Be encouraged today! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays Friends, please register on-line to come join us for these Messiah Ministries prayer ministry events later this summer: July 31-August 2, 2009 -- Healing Prayer Weekend at Cliffview Retreat Center in Lancaster, Kentucky led by Tommy Hays. You'll receive teaching and ministry in a peaceful, worshipful retreat setting. Spiritual Principles of Deep Healing— Explore God’s order in every dimension in spirit, soul, and body. Past hurts require healing to realize true freedom. It’s only God’s redemptive power that can bring us back to God’s created plan. Hindrances To Healing— Scripture provides principles that reveal possible barriers that hinder healing, freedom and wholeness. These given over to God, prepare the way for God’s powerful healing love. For Information or To Register: ClickHereToRegisterHealingWeekend August 10-13, 2009 -- The Fountain School of Spiritual Ministry - Level I Come for a focused time of training, equipping, and impartation through discipleship, personal ministry, and mentoring, led by Tommy Hays and the teaching team. We will study and experience a biblical perspective of the ministry of healing and wholeness of spirit, soul and body, and apply the foundational principles of the Kingdom of God for prayer ministry. The course combines dynamic classroom teaching in a small group setting with personal hands-on experience as students receive personal ministry and are guided in ministry for others. For Information or To Register: ClickHereToRegisterSchoolOfMinistry Subscribe by email to me at Messiah Ministries --MessiahMin@aol.com -- "Preparing the Way of the Lord ... Ministering the Healing Love of God" www.messiah-ministries.org 2800 Tates Creek Rd; Lexington, KY 40502 Order our Ministry Resources or Contribute to our vision and calling: www.shop.messiah-ministries.org