Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Desperate to Be Free 11-17-09

Good morning, Lord Jesus. I bow low, so You can gather me up into Your arms, my Father and Friend. ... “ ‘Go home to your friends, and tell them how much the Lord has done for you, and what mercy He has shown you.’ And he went away and began to proclaim in the Decapolis how much Jesus had done for him; and everyone was amazed” (Mark 5:19-20). The man who was tormented by so many unclean spirits saw You “from a distance” and came running to You, to bow down low before You, despite everything in him that wanted to run the other way (v. 5:6). The enemy of his soul had isolated him from his friends, distorted his thoughts, and abused his body. We don’t know what brokenness or abuse he had endured in the journey of his life that brought him to such a low place. We don’t know the things he had done or the things that were done to him. We don’t know how long he had been desperately longing down deep inside for the day that he would see his Deliverer come. But he was desperate to be free. And the day came when this man’s tormenters feared the torment of the Son of the Most High God” who had come to bind up the brokenhearted and set the captives free (v. 5:7). Moved with compassion and mercy, You commanded the spirits to release him and go. And this man who had been tormented for so long was set free from the thief who came to steal and kill and destroy in his life. He encountered the One who came that he might have life and have it abundantly (John 10:10). He encountered the One who came “to destroy the works of the devil” in the deepest places of his life (1 John 3:8). Now he was fully “clothed” in Christ, fully restored by the power of Your mercy and love to “his right mind” (Mark 5:15). And his life would never be the same. He couldn’t wait to tell his friends and family and everyone who would listen “how much Jesus had done for him.” Can there be any greater proclamation of the good news of the kingdom of God, any greater means of evangelism, than the sight of a heart set free in the name and power of Jesus? Lord Jesus, thank You for every time Your Holy Spirit has lifted my eyes to You and drawn me into the arms of my true Father, in the broken and desperate times of my life. Thank for every time You’ve humbled my heart, healed my brokenness, and broken my chains. Thank You for every time You’ve gathered me in Your arms, clothed me in Christ, and restored me to my right mind and right heart. Thank You for all the times that may yet come in my journey through this broken, fallen world in the process of being redeemed and restored by the goodness and glory of God, as Your kingdom comes and Your will is done on earth as it is in heaven. May my life be a living sacrifice and testimony of Your goodness and mercy and love. And may You use me to now comfort those in the ways You have comforted me (2 Corinthians 1:3-4). Let me tell everyone who will listen all that You have done for me. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen. Be encouraged today! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays Come to The Fountain! this Friday Night, Nov. 20 -- on the 3rd Friday night of every month -- for our ministry's citywide gathering of the body of Christ from every tradition and stream to worship the Lord in Sprit and in Truth. Come drink deeply from the Living Waters in the freedom of the Spirit. 7 pm in the chapel at Centenary. All are welcome. Call for details: 859-422-1794 or send a note to Marilyn at DirOfMinistries@aol.com Subscribe free by email to me at Messiah Ministries --MessiahMin@aol.com -- "Preparing the Way of the Lord ... Ministering the Healing Love of God" www.messiah-ministries.org 2800 Tates Creek Rd; Lexington, KY 40502 Daily Archives at: www.morningbymorning.blogspot.com Order our Ministry Resources: www.shop.messiah-ministries.org