Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Green Pastures and Still Waters 2-9-10

Good morning, Lord Jesus. I lift up my eyes to Your hills and wait in the silence of surrender to Your will and listen for the voifce of Your Spirit. … “The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures; He leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul; He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for Thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff they comfort me. Thou prepares a table for me in the presence of mine enemies; Thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever” (Psalm 23, KJV). I guess these were the first words of “the Old Testament” I ever learned and memorized. Nanny’s Bible and Nanny’s prayers were in the King James. But I remember my grandmother Hays teaching me these ancient words while she worked out in the chicken house on the edge of our west Texas cotton farm. They were hard workers, and they instilled in us a strong work ethic. But they also knew when it was time to take their Sabbath rest—when it was time to let the Lord make them to lie down in the green pastures and settle down for awhile beside the still waters, while You restored their souls. I remember seeing PaPa, my Grandfather Hays, stretch out on the couch every day after lunch before he went back to the field. There was time for work, but there was also time for rest. When I get a little too extended from being a little too busy and start to feel a little too overwhelmed by the work of my day, even what I believe is the work of the Lord, I still hear these ancient words begin to rise up in my heart and try to settle down in my soul. I know it’s time to find some time for some Sabbath rest. As a friend of mine gently said, “Even you have to get tired sometime.” And I knew that her words were Your words, calling me to come lie down for awhile in Your green pastures and settle down for awhile beside your still waters. There, You’ll restore my soul, renew my spirit, and revive my passion. There will still be plenty of hard work to do, but I’ll be able to get it done with more joy in the power of the strength that only comes from a sincere Sabbath rest. Instead of worrying about what won’t get done if I do, help me realize what can’t get done if I don’t. “So then, a Sabbath rest still remains for the people of God; for those who enter into God’s rest also cease from their labors as God did from His. Let us therefore make every effort to enter that rest …” (Hebrews 4:9-11). In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen. Be encouraged today! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays Subscribe for free by email to me at Messiah Ministries --MessiahMin@aol.com -- "Preparing the Way of the Lord ... Ministering the Healing Love of God" www.messiah-ministries.org 2800 Tates Creek Rd; Lexington, KY 40502 Order my books and our resources on-line: www.shop.messiah-ministries.org