Thursday, June 17, 2010

Inspired and “In-Spirited” 6-17-10

Good morning, Lord Jesus. In these first moments of my morning, I rededicate my life and my day to You, my King. … “But let justice (roll) down like water, and righteousness like a mighty stream” (Amos 5:24). Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr. called upon Your name and spoke out these prophetic words in his speech of his dream for a day to come in this land when the civil rights of every American, regardless of race, would be secure with liberty and justice for all. The American civil rights movement was not grounded in government, it was grounded in Jesus. It’s leader was not a president, it was a pastor. It’s creed and call to arms in a non-violent revolution to change the hearts and minds of our national culture was not a manifesto of human philosophy, it was the Bible. And those that deny the Biblical foundations and Spiritual guidance of the revolutionary call to liberty and justice that flows forth only from the righteousness of God like a mighty stream are either deceived from the truth, ignorant of the historical facts of the heritage of our nation, or both. Yesterday, it was good to be reminded of the opportunities we have and the power to influence the change of our culture by the lawyer who leads the Southern Poverty Law Center, Morris Dees, at our state bar convention. Every year, I’m required to have hours of continuing legal education to maintain my license to practice law. Those hours can be fairly boring, but yesterday I found those hours to be very inspiring. It was good to hear the Word of God spoken out to a convention full of lawyers and judges. It was encouraging to hear the story of Amos, a prophet of God, related as an inspiration to us to inspire others, as the prophetic ministry of Amos inspired the revolutionary ministry of Rev. Dr. King. Like Rosa Parks, our everyday choices of our everyday lives can make a difference if we insist upon the righteousness and justice at the foundation of the Kingdom of God and at the center of our Spiritual heritage as a nation. Thank You for inspiring me to be more bold in my faith in the marketplace and public square of my community and culture. For what do You require of each of us, wherever You’ve positioned us in each season of our lives but to do justice, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with our God (Micah 6:8). If a lawyer can quote the Word of God at a state bar convention, stirring a room full of lawyers and judges to their feet in a challenge to remember our calling to use the gifts and opportunities we’ve been given to make a difference in our culture, surely I can try to live out the Word of God in the whatever ways You lead in my life today. As I think of being “inspired” this morning, I think of being “in-Spirited” by the Holy Spirit of the Living God who calls each of to arise in the Spirit of Christ to make a difference wherever we are and whatever we do because we carry the Spirit of God within us (Romans 8:9). That’s the dream I have. That’s the day I’m praying for and the movement I’m a part of—“until justice rolls down like water and righteousness like a mighty stream.” In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen. Be encouraged today! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays Come to The Fountain! This Friday Night June 18th at 7PM, the 3rd Friday Night of every month, for our Messiah Ministries monthly city-wide gathering for prayer, praise, and healing worship. Led by Messiah Ministries and hosted at Centenary United Methodist Church, 2800 Tates Creek Rd.; Lexington, Kentucky. Come drink deeply from The Fountain of Living Waters as we worship Jesus in the freedom of His Holy Spirit. I will be leading in Prayer while Brooke and Shannon Barrett will be leading in Worship and as we also honor Laura Beach and her ministry this month. All are welcome and please spread the word! Contact Marilyn Walker, our Dir. of Ministries for details 859-317-1591 or DirOfMinistries@aol.com Subscribe for free by email to me at Messiah Ministries: MessiahMin@aol.com -- "Preparing the Way of the Lord ... Ministering the Healing Love of God" www.messiah-ministries.org To order my books and our ministry resources or contribute to our ministry on-line: www.shop.messiah-ministries.org Messiah Ministries; 2800 Tates Creek Rd; Lexington, KY 40502 God bless you!