Monday, January 24, 2011

Fasting and Praying for Our Cities - Jan 24

Good morning, Lord Jesus. With my body yielded to my soul, my soul yielded to my spirit, and my spirit yielded to Your Holy Spirit, I worship You and watch for You and wait for You. …

“It is zeal for Your house that has consumed me…. I humbled my soul with fasting…. But as for me, my prayer is to You, O Lord. At an acceptable time, O God, in the abundance of Your steadfast love, answer me” (Psalm 69:9-13).

In preparation for our city-wide, regional Strategic Prayer Summit coming up in two weeks, many are joining together to fast and pray this week. Something about fasting allows the mind, will, and emotions of our soul to yield to our spirit, as our human spirit draws deeply into communion with Your Holy Spirit. Something about fasting, seems to enhance the crucifixion of our flesh and the life of our spirit. As we humble ourselves in Your sight, You lift us high into Your Presence (James 4:10).

Fasting is not magic or manipulation of the will of God. It’s a means of humility, a means of expressing our deliberate choice of desperate dependence upon You. It’s a means You choose to use to build our faith, strengthen our spiritual authority, realign our priorities and perspectives, as we choose to die daily to ourselves and arise in the life of Christ (Mark 9:29).

Fasting is a means of Your grace to draw us more deeply in declaration of the reality of our relationship with You: “I have been crucified with Christ; and it is not longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me” (Galatians 2:19-20).

As we fast and pray in our city and region, O Lord, hear our prayer, hear the cry of our hearts. Let zeal and passion for You and Your Kingdom to be established in our hearts and our land consume us. Awaken us from our complacency and unite us in our purpose to express Your love and reveal Your nature to the lost and broken You’ve called us to love and to serve as ambassadors in Your name. Let the enemy of our souls and the soul of our cities, who seeks to steal and kill and destroy, be crushed under our feet, as our feet stand in Yours (Romans 16:20).

As we humble our souls in fasting and prayer, let our spirits arise in worship and praise. “Let heaven and earth praise (You), the seas and everything that moves in them. For God will save Zion and rebuild the cities of Judah; and His servants shall live there and possess it; the children of His servants shall inherit it, and those who love His name shall live in it” (Psalm 69:34-36).

Be encouraged today! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays

Friends, please keep us in prayer the weekend of February 4-5, 2011 for our 4th Annual Greater Lexington Strategic Prayer Summit - "Let the Walls Come Down!" Our ministry will be leading this gathering again, hosted this year with Pastor Richard Gaines at Consolidated Baptist Church on the northwest side of Lexington, Kentucky ( http://www.consolidatedbaptist.org ). We'll be joining together in unity from the various streams and traditions of the diverse Body of Christ in our region for prayer, praise, and proclamation as week the Lord's word and vision for the coming year in this place where He has assigned us. If you're in our region, please come and spread the word--it will be Friday night, Saturday and Saturday night. A flyer with tentative schedule is attached. May the Lord move in the power of His Presence for revival and awakening in your city and region, as well as ours! God bless you!

To Reply: TommyHays@aol.com
To Subscribe: www.messiah-ministries.org/home
To Give to the Calling and Vision of Messiah Ministries:
www.messiah-ministries.org/partner/contribute