Friday, January 28, 2011

Words of Spirit and Life - Jan 28

Good morning, Lord Jesus. My Lord and Savior, my Comforter and King, I call on Your name and rest in Your peace. …

“Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips” (Psalm 141:3).

Our words have power. It’s a power You’ve entrusted to us, even as You’ve created us in Your image. But it’s a power that can be used for good or for evil, for building up or for tearing down, for encouragement or discouragement. “Death and life are in the power of the tongue” (Proverbs 18:21). So our words should come from Your heart, for “upbuilding and encouragement and consolation” (1 Corinthians 14:3).

With the words of our mouths, we can bless or curse, bring clarity or confusion, establish trust or engender strife. “How great a forest is set ablaze by a small fire! And the tongue is a fire…. With it we bless the Lord and Father, and with it we curse those who are made in the likeness of God. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this ought not to be so” (James 3:5-10).

Lord, heal the hurts my words have caused. And heal the hurts the words of others have caused to me. Draw out the poison and impart Your peace. Set Your guard over my mouth and over my heart. Let me speak what needs to be said; let me listen to what needs to be heard. But let all be filtered through the cross and the blood of Christ; let all be refined in the fire of the Holy Spirit.

Lord, help me learn to speak only what I hear You speaking. And help me discern to receive only what I hear You speaking through those who would speak to me. Like You, let my words be full of “spirit and life,” even as You allow only Your words of “spirit and life” to take root in me (John 6:63). In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.

Be encouraged today! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays


To Reply: TommyHays@aol.com
To Subscribe: www.messiah-ministries.org/home
To Join with us in the Vision and Calling of Messiah Ministries:
www.messiah-ministries.org/partner/contribute