Monday, September 24, 2012

"Keep Your Eyes on the Horizon" - September 24

Good morning, Lord Jesus. You're my Savior, my Lord, my Best Friend. I welcome You into my morning and every moment of my day. ...


"Those of steadfast mind You keep in peace - in peace because they trust in You. Trust in the Lord forever, for in the Lord God you have an everlasting rock" (Isaiah 26-3-4).


I'll always remember the boat captain shouting through the chaos, "Keep your eyes on the horizon." I wasn't sure if the swirling chaos was a raging sea around me or inside of me, as I hurled more of my breakfast over the bow of the boat. We were going out to sea, against the waves, on my first offshore fishing trip when I was a young man. They didn't have waves and seas and massive splashes of salt water crashing over boats where I grew up on the dry, flat plains of west Texas. So it was a new adventure for me.


Somehow the wisdom of keeping my eyes on the steady horizon, instead of the tossing waves and see-sawing boat, helped steady my stomach and my nerves. And the storm inside of me began to subside. By the end of the day, we caught a lot of fish and had a lot of fun. Then I was glad we had gone too far to turn back and had no place to go but forward.


I often think of that story in the midst of the storms and unnerving waves that come crashing across the bow of my boat on this adventure of my life. But You're still the Captain of my boat, and I can always hear Your Spirit cry out, "Keep your eyes on Me!"


You're my constant horizon, my everlasting rock. You always steady my fears and calm my nerves and encourage me to keep pressing on and moving forward. You remind me that when it's all said and done, if I can just weather the swirling storms, I'll be able to look back and say it was a good day and a great adventure. And we even had lots of fun, despite losing my breakfast every now and then! Thank You for the gift of a steadfast mind that You keep in peace, helping me always to keep trusting in You. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Be encouraged today! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays
Friends, God bless you, my friend, as you keep your eyes on the Lord and keep moving forward into your destiny in Christ. Please pray the same for me, and thank you for going with me in the journey of prayer.
Messiah Ministries
Healing from the Inside Out
2800 Tates Creek Road
Lexington, Kentucky 40502