Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Morning by Morning, February 12 - Looking for the City to Come

Good morning, Lord Jesus. Be welcome into every thought and desire, every word and action, every moment of my day.  ...

"For here we have no lasting city, but we are looking for the city that is to come" (Hebrews 13:14).

When all is going well and all seems to be in place, I can find myself tempted to rest in the security of the world around me. In a way, it's good; because every good thing I have is a gift of God and You invite me to "be content with what (I) have" (v. 13:5). But at the same time, I'm not home yet. Deep in my spirit, I'm still looking for the city that is to come.

Like those who have gone before me in the faith in every generation, I need to know this world is not my home. "They confessed that they were strangers and foreigners on the earth, for people speak in this way make it clear that they are seeking a homeland.... But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God; indeed, He has prepared a city for them" (v. 11:13-16).

You've put eternity in my heart (Ecclesiastes 3:11). While You've given me grace to know Your peace and joy in the midst of my journey through the broken, fallen world, You also remind me every day that it is a journey; it's not a place to build a city and call it home. It's a journey with a destination. And my destination is not finding a place on this earth to call my home; it's more of finding the place where I've made a place for the heavenly, eternal One in my heart. That's when I'll know I'm home, no matter where I am. That's when I'll know I've found the city of my God.

"There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy habitation of the Most High. God is in the midst of the city; it shall not be moved" (Psalm 46:4). So I will rejoice and be glad. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Be encouraged today! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays


My Friend,  I pray you would find the city of our God, content in Him no matter where you are, yet always on the journey for more of Him in your heart. Please pray the same for me. God bless you, my friend!

Praying with you,
Tommy


Tommy Hays | Messiah Ministries
Healing from the Inside Out
  
Pastoral Director | Rapha God Ministries
4 Dominion Drive, Building 1
San Antonio, Texas 78257

Share this word to encourage a friend!  Blue