Wednesday, June 08, 2016

Morning by Morning, June 8 - Learning to "Abide," Living in Christ
 
Good morning, Lord Jesus. Welcome into my heart and the moments of my day.  ...
 
"Abide in Me as I abide in you. Just as the branch cannot bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither an you unless you abide in Me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who abide in Me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from Me you can do nothing" (John 15:4-5).
 
What could be more important than learning to abide in You? You said if I abide in You, You would abide in me, and I would bear much fruit.
 
So much of the time, we get that so wrong. We tend to focus on the fruit, when You said to focus on You. We tend to focus on what we're doing for You instead of how we're living in You. It's like seeking first to build the kingdom of God instead seeking first You and our right relationship with You (Matthew 6:33). It's like trying to do so many good things instead of seeking the One Thing that makes all things work together for good. It's like trying to do it all ourselves instead of letting You do it all through us. And ultimately, all that we do apart from You, no matter how good or helpful it may seem at the time, amounts to nothing of eternal significance. Just like You said long ago, "Apart from Me you can do nothing" (John 15:5).
 
So teach me to abide in You. Teach me to seek You first and focus most on my relationship with You.
 
Lord Jesus, as I seek to abide in You right now in the beginning of my day, what do You want me to hear or see or sense in this moment? ...
 
It seems I hear You saying in my heart:  "You abide in Me as you open your heart to Me, allowing Me to abide in you. That's the key. Allow Me to abide in you. Welcome my Spirit within you. Embrace my life within your life. Allow Me to put My thought in your mind and My desires in your heart. Allow Me to express My words, My power, My heart, My nature through your life. I am the Vine. You are one of My branches. Seek to be one with Me, one in the Vine, and My Spirit will flow through your life. Then I will cause My fruit to be borne through you. Let your focus and your passion be upon abiding in Me. Then trust Me to bear My fruit through your life. Not by your power, not by your might, but by My Spirit."
 
Yes, Lord. That's sounds like You speaking to me, as I seek to discern Your voice from my own thoughts, the leading of Your Holy Spirit from the merely the desires of my own human spirit. As I test these words first against the Word of God, these Scriptures come to mind:  "Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit, says the Lord of hosts" (Zechariah 4:6). "In Him we live and move and have our being" (Acts 17:28). "For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain" (Philippians 1:21 NKJV). "I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me" (Galatians 2:19-20). "Christ in (me), the hope of glory" (Colossians 1:27).
 
So as best as I can and all by Your grace, I seek to abide in You, Lord Jesus Christ. You are the Vine and I am one of Your branches. As I begin this day and life out the moments of my adventure of faith, I want to be embraced by my Father, centered in Christ, and filled with Your Holy Spirit -- abiding in You as You abide in me. Let this be more than a moment, but a lifestyle of living in You and allowing You to live through me. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.
Be encouraged today! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays



I pray you will be stirred by the Spirit of God to abide in Christ in a lifestyle of abiding and living in Him, in Jesus' name. Please pray the same for me. God bless you, my friend!

     


Friends, please keep me in prayer as I travel to Georgia to teach and minister at the 2016 Athens College of Ministry Transformed! conference.  I'll be speaking on Free to Be Like Jesus! -- Transforming Power of Inner Healing & Deliverance. I'll also be preaching and ministering at St. James United Methodist Church in Athens this weekendAll are welcome. Please come join us!  


Tommy Hays | Messiah Ministries
Healing from the Inside Out
  
Pastoral Director | Rapha God Ministries
4 Dominion Drive, Building 1
San Antonio, Texas 78257

Please share this word to encourage a friend!