Thursday, May 02, 2019

Morning by Morning, May 2 - Freedom from the Self-Centered Pride of the Spirit of Babylon
 
Good morning, Lord Jesus. Speak to my heart what is on Your heart, as I seek Your face and listen for the leading of Your Spirit -- Father, Son, and Holy Spirit of God. ...
 
"Twelve months later as (King Nebuchadnezzar) was walking on the roof of his palace in Babylon, he said, 'I have built this great Babylon as my royal home. I built it by my power to show my glory and my majesty.' The words were still in his mouth when a voice from heaven said, 'King Nebuchadnezzar, these things will happen to you:  Your royal power has been taken away from you. You will be forced away from people. You will live with the wild animals and will be fed grass like an ox. Seven years will pass before you learn this lesson:  The Most High God rules over every kingdom on earth and gives those kingdoms to anyone He chooses.' Immediately the words came true" (Daniel 4:28-33 NCV).
 
The spirit of Babylon is the spirit of pride -- self-centered "pride" in the sense of all that I am and all that I have and all that I do is all about me; self-centered "pride" in the sense of I'm going to do what I want to do whenever I want to do it and however I want to do it and there's nothing God or anybody else can do about it. No wonder "God is against the proud, but He gives His grace to the humble" (James 4:6 NCV). No wonder "Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall" (Proverbs 16:18).
 
When we don't acknowledge You as God and King of our hearts, with Your Word as our Authority and Your Spirit as our Guide we're simply like those who "did what was right in their own eyes" during the cycles of disobedience and destruction in the days when "there was no king in Israel" (Judges 17:6). Like Nebuchadnezzar, full of the spirit of Babylon and the ways of this world apart from You, full of pride, full of ourselves, we soon suffer the consequences until we learn the lesson that there is a Most High God who intends to rule and reign in our hearts and in our land.
 
But in an amazing display of Your mercy and grace, even King Nebuchadnezzar was able to humble himself to repent of his pride and turn to You in acknowledgement of Your truth and Your place as the Authority in our lives. "At the end of that time, I, Nebuchadnezzar, looked up toward heaven, and I could think normally again! Then I gave praise to the Most High God; I gave honor and glory to Him who lives forever. God's rule is forever, and His kingdom continues for all time.... Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, give praise and honor and glory to the King of heaven. Everything He does is right and fair, and He is able to make proud people humble" (Daniel 4:34-37 NCV).
 
As Your Word assures us, when we "humble ourselves in the sight of the Lord, (You) will lift (us) up" (James 4:10 NKJV). "If we confess our sins, He who is faithful and just will forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness" (1 John 1:9). "The sacrifice acceptable to god is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, You will not despise" (Psalm 51:17).
 
Come, Holy Spirit. Expose and uproot the pride from me that gives any glory or honor or praise for any of the good things in my life to the credit of myself -- my own abilities, my wisdom, my own goodness. "Whatever is good and perfect is a gift coming down to us from God our Father" (James 1:17 NLT). Set me free from the spirit of Babylon, with all its worldly self-centered pride, and give me a heart of humility to honor You and acknowledge You as the Source of every good thing in my life. Then, even "though (I may) fall seven times, (I) will rise again," restored and redeemed in the power of Your mercy and love (Proverbs 24:16). And by the mercy of Your grace, may that be the attitude of my heart long before I have to eat grass like an ass (KJV) for seven years to learn this lesson of humility and pride! (Daniel 5:21) In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Be encouraged today! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays

My friend, may you filled with a humble heart, free from any spirit of self-centered pride, as the Lord lifts you up in His mercy and love, receiving all glory, honor, and praise for every good thing in your life, in Jesus' name. Please pray the same for me. God bless you, my friend!



Tommy Hays | Messiah Ministries
Healing from the Inside Out
  
Pastoral Director | Rapha God Ministries
4 Dominion Drive, Building 1
San Antonio, Texas 78257

Please share this word to encourage a friend!