Monday, November 11, 2019

Morning by Morning November 11 - Persist through the Pruning for the Joy of the Glory to Come
 
Good morning, Lord Jesus. You are the Vine, and I am one of Your branches. I abide in You and You abide in me -- my spirit with Your Spirit, Your Life flowing through my life. ...
 
"I am the True Vine, and My Father is the Vinedresser. Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit, He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit, He prunes it so that may bear more fruit. You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you. Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me. I am the Vine, you are the branches; He who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing.... My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be My disciples.... These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full" (John 15:1-11 NASB).
 
As Your Holy Spirit brings the picture to mind of a tree bring pruned, I notice there are branches that bear fruit and branches that don't. Even the branches that don't bear fruit are still part of the tree and they're still branches. They are branches that formed and grew over time. And at one time there must have been the life-giving sap from the roots and trunk of the tree flowing through them or they would not have ever formed and grown to be the branches they are today. But at the same time, they either never bore fruit or they no longer bear fruit. And they must be pruned.
 
"Pruned" is a nice way of saying "cut off," "cast away," "thrown into the fire and burned." And as I understand Your Word and the Word Picture You're painting with this illustration, there are some things in me and all of Your disciples that must be "pruned" -- some things that need to be "cut off," "cast away," and "thrown into the fire and burned."
 
What I want to say is "Ouch!" What I want to say is "Not that one!" What I want to say is "Lord, look at all the good fruit! Are You sure that really needs to go? It's not really that bad is it? Give it a little more time and it may turn around and be fruitful! Have a little grace, God!"
 
But what You're inviting me to say is "Yes, Lord. You know best. You know what You're doing. I trust You. You love me and You're for me and You want the best for me. You'll give me the grace I need to press through the pain and persist through the pruning. And I know one day I'll look back and say "Thank You, it really was worth it all and You really are worthy of it all. Though sorrow may last for a nighttime, joy comes with the morning. This slight, momentary affliction is not worth comparing to the eternal weight of glory beyond all measure You're preparing for me as You're pruning me."
 
My Father, my Vinedresser, You discipline the children You love and You discipline us in Your love (Hebrews 12:7-11). You caress us as You correct us, You hold us as You heal us, and You assure us as You sanctify us (2 Corinthians 4:17). You're growing us up to a maturity, to the full measure of the stature of Christ You've created us to be (Ephesians 4:13). The pain of the pruning now will not be worth comparing to the display of Your glory to come. We are the work of Your hands, Your "oaks of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, to display Your glory" (Isaiah 61:3). So in the power of Your love, give me the grace to say "Lord, have Your way." In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.
Be encouraged today! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays


My friend, may you persist through the pruning for the sake of the joy of the glory to come, in Jesus' name. Please pray the same for me. God bless you, my friend!

  

Tommy Hays | Messiah Ministries
Healing from the Inside Out
  
Pastoral Director | Rapha God Ministries
4 Dominion Drive, Building 1
San Antonio, Texas 78257

Please share this word to encourage a friend!