Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Morning by Morning, March 20 - Humility before Honor
 
Good morning, Lord Jesus. Lead me in the ways that lead to life in You today.  ...
 
"James and John, the sons of Zebedee, came forward to Him and said to Him, 'Teacher, we want You to do for us whatever we ask of You.' And He said to them, 'What is it you want Me to do for you?' And they said to Him, 'Grant us to sit, one at Your right hand and one at Your left, in Your glory.' But Jesus said to them, 'You do not know what you are asking. Are you able to drink the cup that I drink, or be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with?'" (Mark 10:35-38)
 
James and John wanted the place of honor. They wanted to sit at Your right and Your left in Your glory. You had just told them about the gory--how You would soon be mocked and spit upon and tortured to death--but they wanted to hear about the glory (v. 33-34). Specifically, they wanted to hear about their glory--their glory sharing in Your glory.
 
They wanted to know about the honor before knowing about the humility. But in the ways of Your kingdom, humility goes before honor:  "Let this same mind by in you that was in Christ Jesus, who, though He was in the form of God, did not regard equality with God as something to be exploited, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a slave, being born in human likeness. And being found in human form, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death--even death on a cross. Therefore god also highly exalted Him and gave Him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bend, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of the Father" (Philippians 2:5-11).
 
We look at these disciples and judge them for their arrogance and presumption and pride. But should we take the log out of our own eyes before trying to take the speck out of theirs? In these days of greater revelation of our son-ship and adoption as beloved children of God, do we also find ourselves insisting upon the place of honor without first taking the place of humility? Do we also presume upon our rights and privileges to bask in Your glory without also being willing to embrace our part to share in the fellowship of Your sufferings? Or do we forget the invitation of Your Word, "That I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death, if, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection from the dead" (Philippians 3:10-11)?
 
Come, Holy Spirit. Let this mind be in me that was in Christ Jesus. Lead me to the place of humility, that I many receive the place of honor chosen for me. By the power of the grace of God my Father, may I drink of the cup and embrace the baptism You've chosen for me on my spiritual journey to be conformed to the nature of Christ (Romans 8:29). You have blessed me-- along with all Your disciples, along with all the children of God--with glory and honor, with inheritance and favor; but You've also blessed me with the invitation to die to myself and surrender my life into the fullness of Your will by the means You choose to make me more like You every day (Luke 22:42; 1 John 4:17).
 
As You said to Your first disciples, You continue to say to me and to every disciple:  "If any want to become My followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow Me. For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for My sake, and for the sake of the gospel, will save it. For what will it profit them to gain the whole world and forfeit their life? Indeed, what can they give in return for their life? Those who are ashamed of Me and of My words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of them the Son of Man will also be ashamed when He comes in the glory of His Father with the holy angels" (Mark 8:34-38). 
 
Before the place of honor comes the place of humility. "When we cry, 'Abba! Father! It is that very Spirit bearing witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children then heirs, heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ--if, in fact, we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him" (Romans 8:15-17). 
 
Lord Jesus, slay my pride and crucify my flesh. Give me the grace to follow You in the place of humility that I may embrace You in the place of honor. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Be encouraged today! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays


 
My Friend, I pray you experience the fullness of every honor Your Father has for you as a child of God, as you walk in humility of heart to surrender Your will to His on the past His chosen for you to make you more like Jesus each day, in Jesus' name! Please pray the same for meGod bless you, my friend! 

   

Friends, please come join us this weekend (March 23-24, 2018) at the Francis Asbury Society Headquarters in Wilmore, Kentucky just outside Lexington for the Kingdom Glory Conference, hosted by Voice of Joy Ministries. I'll be speaking on Friday Morning and Friday Night on Kingdom Authority and Kingdom Power. Come if you can and spread the word!
 

Tommy Hays | Messiah Ministries
Healing from the Inside Out
  
Pastoral Director | Rapha God Ministries
4 Dominion Drive, Building 1
San Antonio, Texas 78257

Please share this word to encourage a friend!