Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Morning by Morning, November 27 - Facing the Fiscal Cliff
Good morning, Lord Jesus. King of kings and Lord of lord, be King and Lord of my thoughts and desires today. ...
"' Tell us, then, what You think. Is it lawful to pay taxes to the emperor, or not?' But Jesus, aware of their malice, said, 'Why are you putting Me to the test, you hypocrites? Show Me the coin used for the tax.' And they brought to Him a denarius. Then He said to them, whose head is this and whose title?' They answered, "The emperor's.' Then He said to them, 'Give therefore to the emperor the things that are the emperor's, and to God the things that are God's.' When they heard this, they were amazed; and they left Him and went away" (Matthew 22:17-22).
I live in this world, but I'm not of this world. I'm a citizen of the Kingdom of Heaven but I pay taxes to the United States of America. I vote my values and try to live my principles, but I'm also to "be subject to the governing authorities; for there is not authority except from God, and those authorities that exist have been instituted by God" (Romans 13:1). I'm to pray for the coming of the Kingdom of God, but I'm also to pray "for kings and all who are in high positions, so that they may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and dignity" (1 Timothy 2:2).
Lord, I need Your discernment and the leading of Your Spirit to fully engage and interact with this world that You so love, but that You are also trying to transform (John 3:16). Our prayers are part of that process, and our lives become part of that transformation (Matthew 6:10). That's all a part of how the kingdoms of the world become the Kingdom of our God - all in Your time and all in Your way (Revelation 11:15).
Our nation may be facing a "fiscal cliff," but by the power of God's grace I'm going to face it by faith and overcome it through prayer. My God is my Rock and my Refuge (Psalm 18:2). So in desperate dependence upon God alone, I'm going to hold fast to the Rock of Ages, cleft for me, even while I do my part to speak my mind, cast my votes, pay my taxes, and make my choices, led by Your Holy Spirit to try to be salt and light in my world throughout the moments of my day (Matthew 5:13-16). Then no matter what comes, I need not fear, for my God is with me (Isaiah 43:1-5). In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.
 
Be encouraged today! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays
Friends,  I pray you'll be full of faith and filled with the Spirit as you face every challenge. Fear not, for God is with you. Please pray the same for me. God bless you, my friend.
Tommy Hays | Messiah Ministries
Healing from the Inside Out
2800 Tates Creek Road
Lexington, Kentucky 40502