Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Tenacity of Spirit 8-23-06

Good morning, Lord Jesus. Worries and concerns, disappointments and fears have been coming against my mind, trying to steal my sleep and my peace. But I hear You calling to rise and come to press in to the peace of Your presence. ... "Do not lag in zeal, be ardent in spirit, serve the Lord. Rejoice in hope, be patient in suffering, persevere in prayer" (Romans 12:11-12). These words are not suggestions, but commands. There is a tenacity of spirit You desire in me -- zealous, ardent, persevering. Like a battering ram that continues to pound away until breakthrough comes; like a bulldog that grabs on and doesn't let go until victory comes; like a baby that cries through the night until somebody gets up out of bed to change him and feed him until sleep comes -- You call us to press on and press through. Passivity is sin. When You saw the temple was no longer a house of prayer and saw that ministry was being merchandised, the tenacity of the Spirit rose in You to drive out the money-changers and cleanse the temple. Your first disciples "remembered that it was written, 'Zeal for Your house will consume me' " (John 2:17). When You saw the lame and the blind, You healed them. When You saw the oppressed and the bound, You freed them. When You saw the broken and hurting, You loved them. You were not passive and complacent; You were tenacious and aggressive in obedience to the will of the Father, no matter the cost. When Your spiritual zeal embarrassed the spiritually lazy, You didn't back down, but persistently replied, "My Father is still working, and I am working" (John 5:17). And when Your message was not heard and Your sacrifices were not received, You kept loving and serving and forgiving. The plans and purposes of God prevailed. So when I am discouraged, I choose to rejoice in hope. When I am suffering, I choose to be patient in endurance. When I am disappointed, I choose to persevere in prayer. It's all by Your grace and all in Your power, but my part is to choose -- and to keep on choosing as I press on and press through in obedience and faith. This is the attitude that will prevail even against the gates of hell (Matthew 16:18). You have not given me a spirit of fear, but of love and power and a sound mind (2 Timothy 1:7). Thank You for the gifts of perseverance of faith and tenacity of spirit. Thank You for the peace of Your presence. As I keep trusting in You, You will cause all things to work together for good (Romans 8:28). In Jesus' name I pray, Amen. Be encouraged this day! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays Dear Friends, please prayerfully seek the Lord's leading about taking a stand with me and our ministry at this particular time with both prayer and provision. The Lord has always been faithful to provide for almost 10 years of ministry, and it seems He often provides through one another giving joyfully and generously to His Kingdom and His Kingdom workers. Like a missionary, I raise my own support for the work of Messiah Ministries. If the Lord has used our ministry of spiritual direction for you personally or for your church or your community, please consider sending a note of encouragement and a check of provision. May we all be filled with the joy of the Lord and the grace of His provision. "May you be made strong with all the strength that comes from His glorious power, and my you be prepared to endure everything with patience, while joyfully giving thanks to the Father, who has enabled you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the Light" (Colossians 1:11-12). I would be glad to speak with you personally about our vision and our needs: 859-422-1794 To subscribe/unsubscribe, please send a note to me at Messiah Ministries -- MessiahMin@aol.com -- "Ministering the Healing Love of God, ... Preparing the Way of the Lord." Our Address for Ministry and Contributions: 2800 Tates Creek Rd; Lexington, KY 40502 www.messiah-ministries.org Daily Archives: www.morningbymorning.injesus.com