Wednesday, December 12, 2012


Morning by Morning, December 12 - Freed from Doubt, Filled with the Spirit


Good morning, Lord Jesus. Help me start this day and every day embraced by my Father, centered in Christ, and filled with the Holy Spirit. ...


"Zechariah said to the angel, 'How will I know that this is so? For I am an old man, and my wife is getting on in years.' The angel replied, 'I am Gabriel. I stand in the presence of God, and I have been sent to speak to you and to bring you this good news. But now, because you did not believe my words, which will be fulfilled in their time, you will become mute, unable to speak, until the day these things occur'" (Luke 1:18-20).


Zechariah's doubt and unbelief didn't nullify the words of God or the good news of the Gospel. Gabriel knew they would "be fulfilled in their time." Just because his message of hope and glad tiding of joy wasn't embraced, Gabriel's confidence of who he was in the eyes of God as one who stands in the presence of God was not shaken by someone else's lack of faith.


But while Gabriel knew Zechariah's promises from God would be fulfilled, he also knew that there would be a season of suffering for Zechariah, as he suffered the consequences of his choices to question the words of God spoken personally to him. Zechariah's questioning of his worthiness to be blessed by God was not seen by God as humility, but rather as the sin of doubt and unbelief. So instead of living those next nine months shouting the praises of God with expectant faith from a heart of joy at the astounding goodness of God, he wouldn't be able to speak at all.


Yet even then, You didn't leave him nor forsake him. You didn't turn Your back on him or cancel Your promises for him. You let the consequences of Zechariah's choices have their work in his heart. And somewhere along the way, Zechariah had a change of heart. Somewhere along the way, he chose to believe the words and the promises of God. And when the day came for the promises to be fulfilled, just as You had said, he spoke his first words with a depth of faith that had been fashioned and formed through the consequences of his suffering (v. 1:59-66). Now, where there had been the spirit of unbelief, Zechariah was freed from doubt and "filled with the Holy Spirit," as he began to boldly declare Your message of hope and good news of the Gospel (v. 1:67-79).


Father, forgive me for my sins of doubt and unbelief. Forgive me for doubting the promises of God, of focusing too much on how undeserving and unworthy I am instead of how merciful and mighty You are. Forgive me for every way and every day I waste by not living with expectant faith with great anticipation and joy of the fulfillment of Your promises to me. Deliver me from evil, free me from doubt, and fill me with Your Spirit. And let my words and the message of my life be a bold declaration of praise to You. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.


Be encouraged today! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays




Friends, I pray you will be freed from doubt and unbelef, joyfully embrace all of God's promises to you, and be filled with the Holy Spirit of God today. May your life, despite all your challenging circumstances, be a bold declaration of praise to our God. Please pray the same for me. God bless you, my friend.



Please keep us in prayer as our ministry continues to partner with Rapha God Ministries in San Antonio, Texas this week, with teaching and ministry of inner healing -- healing from the inside out (www.RaphaGodMinistries.com). I'll be back in Kentucky to speak and minister at Cornerstone Assemby of God in Danville, Kentucky, Sunday December 16th in the morning and evening meetings (www.DanvilleCornerstone.net). Please come join us if you can. All are welcome!


Tommy Hays | Messiah Ministries
Healing from the Inside Out
2800 Tates Creek Road
Lexington, Kentucky 40502