Wednesday, June 29, 2005

"Abba! Father!" 6-29-05

Good morning, Lord Jesus. Waiting in the silence of surrender, I humble myself in Your sight as best as I can, as You lift me up into the arms of Your presence. I welcome Your Holy Spirit to abide in me as I abide in You. ... "But when the fullness of time had come, God sent His Son, born of a woman, born under the law, in order to redeem those born under the law, so that we might receive adoption as children. And because you are His children, God has sent the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying, 'Abba! Father!' " (Galatians 4.4-6). "Abba" was a term of endearment and intimate trust, lovingly expressed by Jewish children of all ages to their father. It's like calling out, "Daddy!" It is not formal, not distant; it is tender and free, loving and pure. It leaves no room for stale religiosity or cool formality. It is a bold expression of a confident relationship, requiring no justification, no explanation -- it just is. In the tradition of my native Texas, I've always wanted my kids to keep calling me "Daddy." Sometimes they still do, but it's usually when they really want something. Most of the time, I have to settle for the shortened, more culturally accepted version of "Dad." Only when my oldest son, Zachary, is trying to be funny with mocking politeness and strategic obedience do I hear the more formal title of "Father." I usually respond with equal formality, "Yes, my son." The titles and tones of how we call out to one another often conveys the state of our heart and the level of intimacy, trust, and respect in our relationship at any given moment. So it is with us. You are our Father and we are Your children. "God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit that has been given to us" (Romans 5.5). You are the God of all creation, and we honor You, respect You, worship You, and fear You. Yet, at the same time, we cry out to You with affection and intimacy, yearning for the nearness of Your presence. You are our God, but You are also our Father. You are our Father, but You are also our Daddy, Abba. There is something about the intimacy and purity of this endearing term of the heart that humbles our hearts and slays our pride to draw us near to You in the trusting, confident faith of little children. No matter what pressures of superficial religion, cultural insecurities, or self-righteous pride may try to distance us, let us never lose this blessing and gift of intimacy with You. Until he died when I was twenty-three, I called my earthly father "Daddy." That's still how I refer to him today, but I remember seeing a John Wayne movie when I was young. His character was a gunfighter in the old west who had had a distant relationship with his sons since they were young. Now they were grown men and one of them called John Wayne's character "Daddy." He said to his son, "You can call me 'Father,' or you can call me 'Sir,' or you can call me 'a son of a gun,' but don't you ever call me 'Daddy.' I started to think there must be something wrong with calling my dad "Daddy," so I quit for a while. But it never seemed right and in time, I overcame my insecurities and self-consciousness and the peer pressures and influences of the media -- even my hero John Wayne, and went back to "Daddy." Daddy Abba, Father God, let it never seem right to be distant from You. Give us the courage and the passion to never let the superficiality and vain formality of religion replace the intensity and intimacy of our personal relationship with You. Thank You for the gift and grace of sending the Spirit of Your Son into our hearts to cry out to You in the childlike faith, "Abba! Father!" In Jesus' name we pray , Amen. Be encouraged this day! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays Friends, as we have been away on our family vacation, I hope you haven't minded the longer, later devotionals. I've had more time to reflect and pray. (My brother-in-law Aaron says he has to save them for the next day so he can still read them in the morning). Thanks for your patience! We will be returning home to Kentucky on Thursday, more rested and renewed. Thank you for your prayers for us and I pray for rest and renewal for each of you. God bless you! To subscribe/unsubscribe please send a note to me at Messiah Ministries -- "preparing the way of the Lord" -- MessiahMin@aol.com Our mailing address: 2800 Tates Creek Rd; Lexington, KY 40502. God bless you!Daily archives and devotional on the web at: www.morningbymorning.blogspot.com