Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Nothing but Oil 9-22-09

Good morning, Lord Jesus. In spirit and truth, I worship You and welcome You and wait on You -- Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. ... "Now the wife of a member of the company of prophets cried to Elisha, 'Your servant my husband is dead; and you know that your servant feared the Lord, but a creditor has come to take my two sons as slaves.' Elisha said, 'What shall I do for you? Tell me, what do you have in the house?' She answered, 'Your servant has nothing in the house, except of a jar of oil...' " (2 Kings 4:1-2). The prophet's widow was in a place of brokenness and desperation. She'd lost her husband; she feared she'd lost her sons. Maybe she even feared she'd lost the favor and grace of God. She felt she had "nothing" left, only the pain in heart and the fear in her soul. Things had not gone as she had hoped and expected for a family committed to serving the Lord. But You spoke to her through Elisha. You led her to stop looking at what she had lost but at what she had left, to take her focus off what she didn't have and direct her focus to what she did have. She still had a jar of oil. And that jar of oil, entrusted to You in obedience and faith, became the source of all she needed (v. 4:3-7). Most of all, it became a means of Your grace, an anchor of hope for her soul, to see her through those troubled times. She gave what she had, and You multiplied it into an abundance of blessings. "And God is able to provide you with every blessing in abundance, so that by always having enough of everything, you many share abundantly in every good work" (2 Corinthians 9:8). You are the God who fills our desperation with Your abundance, who takes our brokenness and makes us whole. "When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears, and rescues them from all their troubles. The Lord is near to the brokenhearted, and saves the crushed in spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord rescues them from them all" (Psalm 34:17-19). Lord, give me eyes to see all that You've given me. Keep the eyes of my heart lifted to You and the fullness of Your provision for all I need. Keep giving me a thankful heart to celebrate Your goodness with the oil of gladness You keep pouring into my spirit. "Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones that You have crushed rejoice" (Psalm 51:8). By the life of Your Spirit abundantly filling the vessel of my heart, I "shall obtain joy and gladness, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away" (Isaiah 35:10). "And my God will satisfy every need of (mine) according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus. To our God and Father be glory forever and ever" (Philippians 4:19). In Jesus' name I pray, Amen. Be encouraged today! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays Subscribe by email to me at Messiah Ministries --MessiahMin@aol.com -- "Preparing the Way of the Lord ... Ministering the Healing Love of God" To Order our Ministry Resources and Contribute to our vision and calling: www.messiah-ministries.org 2800 Tates Creek Rd; Lexington, KY 40502 Devotional Archives at: www.morningbymorning.blogspot.com