Thursday, March 25, 2010

Looking and Longing like Zachaeus 3-25-10

Good morning, Lord Jesus. I seek Your face and need Your grace. … “He entered Jericho and was passing through it. A man was there named Zachaeus; He was a chief tax collector and was rich. He was trying to see who Jesus was, but on account of the crowd he could not, because he was short in stature. See he ran ahead and climbed a sycamore tree to see Him, because He was going to pass that way. When Jesus came to the place, He looked up and said to him, ‘Zacchaeus, hurry and come down; for I must stay at your house today.’ So he hurried down and was happy to welcome Him” (Luke 19:1-6). On Your way to Your final, holy week in Jerusalem, it seems You were looking for those who were looking for You. You were happy to welcome those who were happy to welcome You. And Zachaeus was one of those who was trying to see who You were. He had heard of You, but he wanted to know You. The crowds of people were in his way, but he was tenacious and persistent in his quest to see You. But You already knew his name; You already saw his heart. And you called him out to come walk with You so You could come spend some time with him. Lord Jesus, I long for You to spend some time with me. Before I get up and get on with my day, before my time gets hidden away in the crowds of people, I long to look for You, excited for the moment I see You come and call out my name. You already know my name; You already know my heart to know You more. So Your Holy Spirit moves in my human spirit, drawing me near in the communion of prayer. As I watch and wait with an open heart and eager anticipation, seeking Your face and listening for Your voice, the yearning in my spirit for the encounter of Your presence moves me to persist in prayer until You come. Sometimes You come with a song. Sometimes You come with a thought, or an image, or a stirring of words from Your Scripture. Sometimes You come with stirring of my heart from Your Spirit. Sometimes You come and move me to tears, or to laughter, to peace or to joy. Sometimes You come and call me to just settle down in the stillness and quietness of the silence of surrender to Your will and Your way. But You always come. Because, at the same time, You’re always, already here. You’re here in my heart where I looked for You long ago, happy to welcome You in to come stay with me in the house of my heart that day and every day. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen. Be encouraged today! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays Subscribe by email to Tommy Hays at Messiah Ministries: MessiahMin@aol.com -- "Preparing the Way of the Lord ... Ministering the Healing Love of God" To order my books and our ministry resources or contribute on-line: www.messiah-ministries.org 2800 Tates Creek Rd; Lexington, KY 40502