Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Willing to Wait and Listen - Feb 8

Good morning, Lord Jesus. Be at the center of my thoughts and at the foundation of my day. …

“When He had finished speaking, He said to Simon, ‘Put out into the deep water and let down your nets for a catch.’ Simon answered, ‘Master, we have worked all night long but have caught nothing. Yet, if You say so, I will let down the nets.’ When they had done this, they caught so many fish that their nets were beginning to break” (Luke 5:4-6).

Simon had already been working all night long. He was weary and discouraged. He was empty-handed from failure, except for the washing his empty nets. But he was willing to allow You into his boat (v. 5:3). He was willing to wait and listen to what You had to say. And then he was willing to let You direct his choices about how to spend his day.

He wanted to go to bed, but You wanted him to go to work. He thought his plans and his ways made the most sense, but in Your wisdom, You knew what was best. He was ready to give up, but You pressed him on a little further. And in the end, he called You “Master,” yielded his will to Your will, his ways to Your ways, and did what You said.

It was a choice that turned his lack into abundance, his failure into success, his discouragement into joy. And it turns out that his simple act of welcoming You into his day, and then doing what You said, changed his life—not only for that day, but for every day for the rest of his life (v. 5:11). And not only Simon Peter’s life, but it changed the lives of his business partners too, James and John (v. 5:10).

Lord Jesus, I welcome You into my boat and into my day. I want to stop what I’m doing, set aside my plans for the moment, and take time to listen to what You have to say. I want You to be my Master, because I trust Your wisdom to know what’s best for my life. I give over to You every feeling of weariness, discouragement, and failure from every disappointing moment and day of my past. And I ask You to fill my nets with Your provision of all I need in the way You choose. Give me the humility and wisdom to trust and obey. Let it be so for me and for all those closest to me. I want my trust and obedience, by the power of the grace You supply, to be life changing and never ending. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.

Be encouraged today! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays


To Reply: TommyHays@messiah-ministries.org
To Subscribe: www.messiah-ministries.org/home
To Give to the Vision and Calling of Messiah Ministries:
www.messiah-ministries.org/partner/contribute