Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Morning by Morning, April 23 - A Week of Doubt, Turned to Faith

Good morning, Lord Jesus. O Lord, my God -- Father, Son, and Holy Spirit -- I worship You in spirit and truth and give to You my heart and soul.  ...

"But Thomas (who was called the Twin), one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. So the other disciples told him, 'We have seen the Lord.' But he said to them, 'Unless I see the mark of the nails in His hands, and put my finger in the mark of the nails and my hand in His side, I will not believe.' A week later His disciples were again in the house, and Thomas was with them. Although the doors were shut, Jesus came and stood among them and said, 'Peace be with you.' Then He said to Thomas, 'Put your finger here and see My hands. Reach out your hand and put it in My side. Do not doubt but believe.'" (John 20:24-27).

You left Thomas in his doubts for seven days. He was free to vent his doubts and express his skepticism in the supernatural, which he, no doubt, called discernment and wisdom, careful to not be so heavenly minded that he would be no earthly good. He was free to trust only in what he could see and touch with his natural senses, rather than choose to walk by faith and not by sight grounded in the truth of Your words You had spoken to his heart before these supernatural things ever came to pass.

For seven days, You let him be lord of his thoughts and lord of his beliefs, in full control and fully in charge of what he chose to have the place of authority in his life. And he chose to let his natural senses and his self-made standards have final say about his faith. Maybe he even felt a sense of pride that he was the one among the disciples who wasn't so easily caught up in these spiritual things that seemed to defy his logic and reason, despite all You had said and done. All the while, he was surrounded by his friends who were now full of faith and joy, thrilled at the supernatural, resurrection power of God. That seven days must have seemed like one of Daniel's weeks of seven years for Thomas.

But then "a week later," You finally, mercifully came walking through the wall and right into his doubt. You poked Your finger into his faith and invited him to poke his finger into Your hands. And finally, mercifully he humbled his pride to cry out in faith the highest declaration recorded in Scripture affirming the truth that Jesus is God when he worshipped and honored You as "My Lord and my God!" (v. 28)

Thomas was blessed that he was able to believe when He saw You in the flesh of Your resurrected Body. And now we are blessed because Your Holy Spirit empowers us to believe, though we've not yet seen You in the flesh, but can encounter Your Presence every day, face to Face and heart to Heart in the Spirit (v. 29).

Thank You Jesus for Your mercy and love that meets us where we are, even in our pride and doubt, and helps us humble ourselves before You as Lord and God. Fill me with Your Spirit and fill me faith to trust You and believe You, remembering all I seen and all You've done. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Be encouraged today! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays


My Friend,  I pray your doubts will be turned to faith, as you encounter the Presence of Jesus every day, face to Face and heart to Heart in the Spirit. Please pray the same for me. God bless you, my friend! 


Tommy Hays | Messiah Ministries
Healing from the Inside Out
  
Pastoral Director | Rapha God Ministries
4 Dominion Drive, Building 1
San Antonio, Texas 78257

Share this word to encourage a friend!  Blue