Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Morning by Morning, April 16 - So They Said, But Then They Fled

Good morning, Lord Jesus. I welcome Your Holy Spirit to stir in my heart to rise and follow You today -- as best as I can and all by Your grace. ...

"Then Jesus said to them, 'You will all become deserters because of Me this night; for it is written, 'I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.' But after I am raised up, I will go ahead of you to Galilee.' Peter said to Him, 'Though all become deserters because of You, I will never desert You.' Jesus said to him, 'Truly I tell you, this very night, before the cock crows, you will deny Me three times.' Peter said to Him, 'Even though I must die with You, I will not deny You.' And so said all the disciples" (Matthew 26:31-35).

So they said. ... Yet Your Word records that very night "all the disciples deserted Him and fled" (v. 56).

They said they'd never leave You
They said they'd never forsake You
But where were they?

They said where You'd go, they'd go
They said where You'd lead, they'd follow
But where were they?

And who am I?
Where will I be?
Will I stand with You in faith or flee away in fear?
Will I boldly proclaim Your name or hide away in shame?

I need Your grace to have courage and faith
I need Your power to follow You through the darkest hours
My spirit is willing but my flesh is weak
And apart from You I can't do anything

But because You went to the cross
Your resurrection redeems our loss
Because You were raised from the dead
We can have courage and faithfulness instead
Because You poured out Your Holy Spirit
We can make it with You to the finish
Though we've left and forsaken You through so many generations
You'll never leave or forsake us through all the ages

Thank You, Jesus. When Peter and the disciples denied You and deserted You, they were not yet filled with Your Holy Spirit, because You had not yet returned to the Father. But just as Your Spirit came and changed their hearts to empower them to be Your true disciples, "filled with the Holy Spirit and speaking the word of God with boldness," empower us in our generation to be Your true disciples, found faithful to the end (Acts 4:31). In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Be encouraged today! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays


My Friend,  I pray the Father would fill you with the Holy Spirit to empower you to be found faithful to the end as a true disciple of Jesus Christ. Please pray the same for me. God bless you, my friend! 


Tommy Hays | Messiah Ministries
Healing from the Inside Out
  
Pastoral Director | Rapha God Ministries
4 Dominion Drive, Building 1
San Antonio, Texas 78257

Share this word to encourage a friend!  Blue