Thursday, April 02, 2015

Morning by Morning, April 2 - The Cup of Communion in Christ

Good morning, Lord Jesus. Lead me to the cross and through the cross into resurrection life in You.  ...

"While they were eating, Jesus took a loaf of bread, and after blessing it He broke it, gave it to the disciples, and said, 'Take, eat; this is My body.' Then He took the cup, and after giving thanks He gave it to them, saying, 'Drink from it, all of you; for this is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. I tell you, I will never again drink of this fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father's kingdom" (Matthew 26:26-29).

On the night You were betrayed, You offered Your disciples the bread, speaking of Your body, and the cup, speaking of Your blood. You offered Yourself completely to them, inviting them of offer themselves completely to You in the cup of communion in Christ.

Once before, You had spoken of this cup. James and John were seeking places of position and power in Your kingdom to come, saying, "Grant us to sit, one at Your right hand and one at Your left, in Your glory" (Mark 10:37). And that's when You told them about the cup of communion in Christ -- that the same cup of communion of life in Christ is also the cup of communion of death to self in Christ:  "But Jesus said to them, 'You do not know what you are asking. Are you able to drink the cup that I drink, or be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with?' They replied, 'We are able.' Then Jesus said to them, 'The cup that I drink you will drink; and with the baptism with which I am baptized, you will be baptized; but to sit at My right hand or at My left is not Mine to grant, but it is for those for whom it has been prepared'" (Mark 10:38-40).

This cup of communion in Christ that leads to the place of glory in the intimacy of Your presence begins in the place of suffering the death of self -- surrendering our will to Your will, no longer living for ourselves but living for You. Through Your sacrifice of love for us, "we are children of God, and if children, then heirs, heirs of God and joint heirs of Christ -- if, in fact, we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him" (Romans 8:16-17).

Truly our minds can't fully fathom and our hearts can't begin to conceive just how much that cup of communion cost You in the sacrifice of the cross. After You offered the cup to Your disciples, You went away to pray in the communion of the presence of the Father, "deeply grieved, even to death" (Matthew 26:38). You spoke again of this cup, crying out to the Father in the anguish of Your spirit, knowing the cost of this cup of sacrifice at hand:  "And going a little farther, He threw Himself on the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible; let this cup pass from Me; yet not what I want but what You want" (Matthew 26:39).

It's only by the power of the grace of God that I can drink of this cup that You drank for me. It's only by the power of the grace of God that I can choose, or even desire, to lay down my life in the death to my self, to take up my cross and follow You (Matthew 16:24). I may never fully know just how much it cost for You to drink that cup, but with all my heart, I'm thankful You did. I'm forgiven and free, all because of Your sacrifice in love and grace for me. Now I can live forever in communion with You. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

 
Be encouraged today! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays


My Friend,  by the power of the grace of God, may you live your life fully surrendered to Him in the communion of Christ, in Jesus' namePlease pray the same for me. God bless you, my friend!

         
  
Friends, Thank You for your prayers for me and and our team at the First Wednesday Worship & Healing Service last night at Oak Hills Church. I was honored to get to share a message on hope and healing, then join our Rapha God Ministries team and the Oak Hills Prayer Team to pray personally with people after the message. I had the joy of leading someone to embrace Jesus as Lord and Savior in their  heart last night and at least one other young man did too with one of our other teams. Many gave testimonies of healing and encouragement at the end. Praise God! I pray God's blessing for you and your ministry to others in the name of Jesus!
 
Tommy Hays | Messiah Ministries
Healing from the Inside Out
  
Pastoral Director | Rapha God Ministries
4 Dominion Drive, Building 1
San Antonio, Texas 78257

Please share this word to encourage a friend!