Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Psalm 59 for Age 59 - June 10

Morning by Morning, June 10 - Psalm 59 for Age 59
 
Good morning, Lord Jesus. I speak out Your name and listen for Your voice, here at the beginning of my day. ...
 
An evangelist friend of mine on the other side of the world sent me a birthday greeting this morning inviting me to pray the Psalm numbered for my age. Today that would be Psalm 59. And my first thought is that's getting a little too close to Psalm 60! ...
 
Even so, as I pray through Psalm 59 this morning, I see it was a very challenging time of transition in David's life. He had many mixed emotions, surrounded by both friends and foes on his journey into his destiny. But through it all and in spite of it all, he turned his eyes and lifted his spirit to You, as his finished his Psalm with a flourish of heart-felt words of worship from a heart full of faith and trust and praise:
 
"But I will sing of Your strength,
in the morning I will sing of Your love;
for You are my Fortress,
my Refuge in times of trouble.
You are my Strength, I sing praise to You;
You, O God, are my Fortress,
my God on whom I can rely" (Psalm 59:16-17).
 
I like how he begins his final declaration of his trust in Your goodness and grace with the word "But." All that went before that "But" was his reality and the reality of the world he faced in his day. He didn't have his head buried in the sand. He wasn't afraid of reading the news. He wasn't detached from the challenges of local politics and the national turmoil of his time. "But" at the same time, he kept his eyes on You with his heart full of songs of praise.
 
In his songs, You strengthened him. In his prayers, You empowered him. And even to this day in what we now call "The Psalms" we're all encouraged by his heart of faith, despite all he went through -- both by all he brought upon himself and by all that was brought down upon him -- "But" as a man after God's own heart (1 Samuel 13:14). "When (God) had removed (Saul), He raised up for them David as king, to whom also He gave testimony and said, 'I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after My own heart, who will do all My will" (Acts 13:22).
 
By the power of Your grace, I want to be a man after Your own heart like that, like David. One who will be found faithful to do all Your will no matter what. Fully aware of all that's going on in my day, in my world, and not detached from all I've been through -- no matter the source of my struggles, whether my own or otherwise -- "But" trusting in You with a song in my spirit, full of faith in my heart. So Psalm 59 at age 59 is just fine with me, with You and my friends right here by my side! In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Be encouraged today! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays

My Friend, may you be found faithful as one after God's own heart, with your eyes on the Lord and your heart full of praise, in Jesus' name. Please pray the same for me. Thank you for being my friend and joining with me on this journey of faith and prayer! God bless you, my friend! 

  
Listen and join me in today's Morning by Morning
Prayer Devotional Podcast

New Mailing Address for Messiah Ministries:

Tommy & Rocio Hays
Messiah Ministries
17503 La Cantera Parkway
Suite 104407
San Antonio, Texas 78257

M Friend, we've updated our new ministry website
Take a look and tell us what you think!

Tommy & Rocio Hays | Messiah Ministries

Please share this word to encourage a friend!