Monday, April 02, 2012

The Journey to the Cross - April 2

Good morning, Lord Jesus. Open the eyes of my heart and the ears of my spirit, as I watch and wait for You. ...
"I did not say these things to you from the beginning, because I was with you. But now I am going to Him who sent Me; yet none of you asks Me, 'Where are You going?' But because I have said these things to you, sorrow has filled your hearts.... I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.... A little while, and you will no longer see Me, and again a little while, and you will see Me" (John 16:4-16).
In those last days on earth as the Son of Man on the journey to the cross, Your first disciples didn't understand. They had begun to think You'd be with them forever in the flesh. They had begun to think they'd see You establish an earthly kingdom in their physical realm, where there would always and only be miracles and joy. But as You began to prepare their hearts for the tragic and traumatic days to come, their hearts were filled with sorrow.
They didn't understand the necessity or the significance of the cross. They didn't understand what You meant when You said, 'The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. Very truly, I tell you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains just a single grain; but if it dies, it bears much fruit" (v. 12:23-24).
So You continued to encourage them in hope that there would joy beyond the cross. What would seem as death and defeat would become victory and life. "Very truly I tell you, you will weep and mourn, but the world will rejoice; you will have pain, but your pain will turn into joy.... So you have pain now; but I will see you again, and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take your joy from you" (v. 16:20-22).
As with Your first disciples, You let us hear what we can bear. You let us know that the servants are not above our Master, nor the disciples above our Teacher (v. 13:16). The world persecuted You and the world will persecute us, as we take up Your cause and our cross to follow You on the journey to the cross. But as You encouraged Your first disciples, so You continue to encourage us: "In Me you may have peace. In the world you face persecution. But take courage; I have conquered the world!" (v. 16:33).
As we enter into the Holy Week, remembering the journey to the cross, help me keep my eyes fixed on You. I'm not looking for You to build an earthly kingdom in the physical realm, I'm longing for You to establish Your spiritual kingdom in my heart - for the kingdom of God is within me (Luke 17:21). By the power of Your grace, I will keep "looking to Jesus the pioneer and perfecter of our faith, who for the sake of the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, disregarding its shame, and has taken His seat at the right hand of the throne of God" (Hebrews 12:2). In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.
Be encouraged today! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays

Please come join us for our Messiah Ministries' 4 Day School of Spiritual Ministry April 18-21, 2012 in Lexington, Kentucky, focusing on healing prayer and prophetic ministry Click Here for Our Events Calendar Please spread the word to your friends who may have a calling and passion to be equipped and empowered for this type of ministry. You can also order our Level 1 and Level 2 Schools, and other healing and equipping resources, recorded live on DVD and CD Click Here for Our Ministry Resources

Thank you for praying for our Spiritual Gifts Weekend. The Presence of the Holy Spirit was very thick with us! Please let us know if you'd like to have the DVD.

Be empowered, equipped, and encouraged to fulfill your destiny in Christ!
Tommy & Sylvia Hays | Messiah Ministries
Healing from the Inside Out