Tuesday, May 30, 2006

In the Steps of Heroes 5-30-06

Good morning, Lord Jesus. I've come to worship You with the offerings of my time and the devotion of my heart. ... "Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ" (1 Corinthians 11:1). On May 24, 1738 John Wesley went to the evening worship service at St. Paul's Anglican Cathedral in London, then walked down to a prayer meeting on Aldersgate Street in London. There his heart was "strangely warmed" as he recorded in his journal that day. A movement was birthed in that divine encounter with the living God, which would become a spiritual and cultural transformation of England, then the frontiers of America, and ultimately the world. Even the secular historians acknowledge that moment as a wellspring of great revival. Those who followed Wesley in this movement were mocked as "Methodists" for their radical and methodical devotion to Christ in daily worship, prayer, and service. Wesley often explained these whose hearts were strangely warmed as his in light of this Scripture: "And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us" (Romans 5:5, KJV). On May 24th last week, we went to that same evening service at St. Paul's and followed the steps of John Wesley down Aldersgate Street. The actual place of the historic prayer meeting no longer stands -- destroyed by Hitler's campaign of terror against the innocent civilians of London in World War II. But the spirit of revival remains, burning brightly in the spirit of all whose hearts are strangely warmed by the power and presence of Your Holy Spirit. You are still meeting each of us in the divine encounters that transform our lives and the world around each of us who follow after You. Let the love of God be shed abroad in my heart again this day. Encourage me and inspire me to follow those who follow You, to imitate those who imitate You. Let me look to the example and follow in the steps of Your heroes of the faith (1 Peter 2:21). As I do, let my heart be strangely warmed every day by Your love and presence and power. In Jesus' name I pray. Be encouraged this day! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays To subscribe/unsubscribe, or to order my teaching and prayer dvd's (and now cd's) for spiritual transformation through inner healing and deliverance, write to me at Messiah Ministries MessiahMin@aol.com"Preparing the Way of the Lord." 2800 Tates Creek Rd; Lexington, Kentucky 40502: www.messiah-ministries.org Come to The Fountain the 3rd Friday night of every month at 7 pm for our citywide gathering for prayer, praise, and healing worship. Daily archives of my devotional: www.morningbymorning.injesus.com