Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Trust Issues 8-12-08

Good morning, Lord Jesus. I watch and wait for the leading of Your Holy Spirit and settle in to the embrace of my Father. ... "But the Lord said to Moses and Aaron, 'Because you did not trust in Me, to show My holiness before the eyes of the Israelites, therefore you shall not bring this assembly into the land that I have given them' " (Numbers 20:12). Our trust is important to You. "Without faith it is impossible to please God" (Hebrews 11:6). In the desert wilderness, You wanted to show Your holiness to Your people through the provision of water and the power of Your word spoken through Your servants. Even in the midst of the peoples' murmuring, doubting, and complaining, You wanted to reveal the glory of Your mercy. So You commanded Moses to "command the rock before their eyes to yield its water" (Numbers 20:8). But Moses waivered in faith and failed in obedience; he "did not trust" in You. Rather than speaking to the rock with the word of the Lord as You commanded, he took the matter into his own hands and struck the rock twice with his staff, while chastising the people with an angry heart (v. 20:10-11). You released living waters from the rock but Moses did not release living faith from his heart. One time before, the people were thirsting and complaining and You commanded Moses to "strike the rock at Horeb" for water to come out (Exodus 17:6). Maybe Moses' sin was looking to the past or looking to a formula of faith, rather than living in the fresh faith and tender mercies of each new day. Maybe it was his heart that hardening against the people and he couldn't believe You could have mercy and grace for them even in the midst of their complaining and sin. Maybe in striking the rock twice, he revealed his lack of trust and lack of patience. "Through faith and patience" we "inherit the promises" (Hebrews 6:12). In any event, Moses doubted and did not trust, so Moses did not enter into the land of promise. Lord, forgive me for my times of doubt and unbelief. Forgive me for the times I fail to trust You. Forgive me for the times I've tried to make good things happen out of my own power or with the wrong heart. You said, "Truly I tell you, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only will you do what has been done to this fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain, 'Be lifted up and thrown into the sea,' it will be done. Whatever you ask for in prayer with faith, you will receive" (Matthew 21:21-22). Help me not take matters into my own hands. Help me not rely on yesterday's faith or depend on formulas or rituals, rather than relationship with You. Help me trust You and obey You. Help me seek You and sense the leading of Your Spirit in each moment or mountain I encounter. Give me faith to speak Your word to the rock or the mountain or whatever You choose as the means of Your grace to provide for my needs and those entrusted to my care. Let Your living waters flow through a life surrendered to You in faith (John 7:38). I want to honor You by trusting You, as You show Yourself holy, faithful, and true. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen. Be encouraged today! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays Order my book, Morning by Morning, and our Ministry Resources at: www.shop.messiah-ministries.org Come to The Fountain! This Friday Night 8/15 -- the 3rd Friday night of every month for our ministry's gathering of the body of Christ from every tradition and stream to worship the Lord in Sprit and in Truth. Come drink deeply from the Living Waters in the freedom of the Spirit. 7 pm in the chapel at Centenary. Come early for intercessory prayer at 6:30. All are welcome. Call for details: 859-422-1794 or send a note to Marilyn at DirOfMinistries@aol.com Come to the Mountain! every Monday night at 7 pm to pray for Israel and the peace of Jerusalem led by Doris and Bob McCray of our ministry. Hosted in the upstairs community room of First Southern National Bank at 3060 Harrodsburg Rd in Lexington. Contact Doris at bndmccray@windstream.net All are welcome! Subscribe free by email to Messiah Ministries -- MessiahMin@aol.com -- "Preparing the Way of the Lord ... Ministering the Healing Love of God" www.messiah-ministries.org 2800 Tates Creek Rd; Lexington, KY 40502