Friday, February 13, 2009

"Your Good Works" 2-13-09

Good morning, Lord Jesus. Be high and lifted up in my heart and throughout my day. … "You are the light of the world. A city build on a hill cannot be hid. No one after lighting a lamp puts it under the bushel basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven" (Matthew 5:14-16). There's a difference between letting your light shine before others and shining your light before others. It's the difference between being known and making yourself known, between being promoted and self-promotion. One comes out of insecurity and pride, driven by a need to find for yourself some sense of value and self-worth. The other comes out of the confident knowledge and full assurance that the One of infinite value and immeasurable worth chooses to dwell in you by His Spirit. One is a life consumed by striving to do enough good works to earn the favor of God and others, while one is embracing the favor of God who changes our hearts to be like His so that good works and good words flow out of the good heart He has given us by His grace. Lord, I don't want to strive in myself; I want to thrive in you. I don't want to be constantly trying to earn Your love or Your favor; I want to know I already have Your love and Your favor because I am Your son. "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not of your own doing; it is the gift of God -- not the result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are what He has made us, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand to be our way of life" (Ephesians 2:8-10). Resting in that truth, I'm free to let my light shine, without fear of false motives or self-promotion, because I know I was created to let Your light shine through me and let the good works of Your good heart be done through me. And all will give glory where glory is due -- to my Father in heaven. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen. Be encouraged today! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays Friends, several have asked about a group discount to travel from Lexington to Aldersgate '09 this summer ( www.Aldersgate09.org ) as a group from Messiah Ministries. If you would be interested, please send us a note. I'm really excited to be invited to be a Keynote Speaker at the Aldersgate '09 National Conference on Spirit-filled Living this summer, July 1-5, 2009 in North Carolina. Please come join us. You can register anytime online. ("Aldersgate" is the name of the street where John Wesley was filled with the Holy Spirit at a prayer meeting in London and his heart set ablaze with a passion for Jesus that ignited a great revival across England that changed the world). For my Methodist friends who are deeply hungry for more of the Spirit, let me say that Aldersgate is a highlight of my year every summer. You won't be dissappointed! Come to The Fountain! Next Friday Night, on the 3rd Friday night of every month, for our ministry's city-wide gathering of the body of Christ from every tradition and stream to worship the Lord in Sprit and in Truth. Come drink deeply from the Living Waters in the freedom of the Spirit. 7 pm in the chapel at Centenary. All are welcome. Call for details: 859-422-1794 or send a note to Marilyn at DirOfMinistries@aol.com Subscribe by email to me at Messiah Ministries --MessiahMin@aol.com -- "Preparing the Way of the Lord ... Ministering the Healing Love of God" www.messiah-ministries.org 2800 Tates Creek Rd; Lexington, KY 40502 Order My Book, Morning by Morning, and our Ministry Resources or Contribute to our vision and calling: www.shop.messiah-ministries.org