Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Joy of Death - Jan 27

Good morning, Lord Jesus. More of You and less of me--less of my will apart from Your will, my desires apart from Your desires, my nature apart from Your nature. ...

"I die every day!" (1 Corinthians 15:31)

The Apostle Paul was not afraid of death--neither the physical death that would come one day, nor the death to his "flesh" every day that allowed the life of Your Spirit to be expressed more freely and powerfully through his life with each daily death. By the Spirit of God writing through him, he declared the direction of his life--to "walk walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit" (Romans 8:4). Like all true disciples of Christ, Paul took to heart Your invitation to choose to life his life for You in Your Spirit: "If any want to become My followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow Me. For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for My sake will find it" (Matthew 16:24-25).

What is it in me that needs to die today? It's never my spirit, because You've created my spirit to soar, to express the essence of who You created me to be. It's always my flesh--my self-centeredness, my selfishness, my holy independence apart from my desperate dependence upon You--that needs to die.

You said your disciples must "take up their cross." We don't take up Your cross. You've already done that, forever taking away the bondage to a life bound living in the flesh by the law of sin and death (Romans 8:1). But there is a cross that is our cross. It's the cross of the circumstances, encounters, relationships that You have carefully crafted, or that You will certainly use whether they were crafted by Your hands or not, to put more of my flesh to death today. That's the "living sacrifice" You have in mind for my daily death today (Romans 12:1).

This death is not destroy my joy. Rather, it's only in this death to my flesh that my spirit can truly be free. Your will is to fill my life with Your joy (John 15:11). But it's not joy in the sinfulness and selfishness of my flesh, but joy in the freedom of the life of Your Spirit. Joy is the fruit of Your Spirit (Galatians 5:22). It's only in this death that I can truly be free. It's only in this death, that my spirit can truly soar. And it's only in this death, that I can truly live.

Only as I die daily to my flesh, can I be "alive in Christ" more each day (1 Corinthians 15:22). In that way, put me to death today--as mercifully as You can, while still accomplishing all that You will. And give me the confidence of faith by the life of Your Spirit and the mercy of Your grace to somehow "count it all joy" as it comes! (James 1:2, NKJV) In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

Be encouraged today! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays


To Reply: TommyHays@aol.com
To Subscribe: www.messiah-ministries.org/home
To Give to the Vision and Calling of Messiah Ministries:
www.messiah-ministries.org/partner/contribute