Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Jesus was “I Am” - April 20

Good morning, Lord Jesus. You’re my Father, my Friend, and my Faithful Companion. I love You because You first loved me. I welcome You into my life because You first welcomed me into Your world. Guide my steps and direct my path, as I watch and wait for the leading of Your Spirit today and every day. …

“‘Your ancestor Abraham rejoiced that he would see My day; he saw it and was glad.’ Then the Jews said to Him, ‘You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen Abraham?’ Jesus said to them, ‘Very truly, I tell you, before Abraham was, I Am.’ So they picked up stones to throw at Him, but Jesus hid Himself and went out of the temple” (John 8:56-59).

You claimed to be “I Am”—the Everlasting, Eternal God, Who appeared to Moses in the wilderness and Who created the universe long before calling Abraham to be set apart to birth a chosen people to become known as the Jews and a light to the nations (Exodus 3:14; Isaiah 49:6). You claimed to be the Messiah of Israel, humbling Yourself as God Almighty clothed in human flesh as the Anointed One and Savior of the world.

But the religious leaders in their self-righteous, self-centered, religious hearts could not hear it or bear it: “So the Jews gathered around Him and said to Him, ‘How long will You keep us in suspense? If You are the Messiah, tell us plainly.’ Jesus answered, ‘I have told you plainly, and you do not believe…. The Father and I are One.’ The Jews took up stones again to stone Him…. The Jews answered, ‘It is not for a good work that we are going to stone You, but for blasphemy, because You, though only a human being, are making Yourself God.’ Jesus answered, ‘… the Father is in Me and I Am in the Father.’ Then they tried to arrest Him again, but He escaped from their hands” (John 10:24-39).

They wanted to stone You to death for claiming to be God. But You had already determined before the foundation of the world that You would willingly choose to embrace the suffering and shame of a cross in Your eternal sacrifice of love on our behalf. You said, “I lay down My life in order to take it up again. No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of My own accord. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it up again” (John 10:17-18). Only when they saw You crucified and raised again would their eyes be open to see the truth of Who You were and Who You showed Yourself to be: “So Jesus said, ‘When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will realize that I Am He’” (John 8:28).

By grace, You’ve opened my eyes to see Who You are. You are the Messiah, the Christ, the Holy One of God, both Son of God and Son of Man, the Word made flesh, One God in Three Persons—Father, Son, and Holy Spirit—“the Alpha and the Omega… the Lord God, Who is and Who was and Who is to come, the Almighty” (Revelation 1:8). And by faith I believe You laid down Your life for me on the cross in a sacrifice of love I can’t begin to fully understand, but in humility and gratitude choose to receive. Let no self-righteousness or self-centered pride keep me from fully embracing Your great gift of mercy and love for me and for all who choose to believe. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.

Be encouraged today! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays

As we remember the journey of Jesus to the cross this Holy Week, may the Holy Spirit fill you afresh with a true passion for Christ as we embrace the gift of His passion for us. God bless you, my friend! Please pass along these prayers to any of your friends who may be encouraged by them in their journey of faith.


To Subscribe: www.messiah-ministries.org/home
To Reply: TommyHays@messiah-ministries.org
To Order our Resources: www.messiah-ministries.org/resources
To Join in the Vision and Calling of Messiah Ministries:
www.messiah-ministries.org/partner/contribute