Monday, December 16, 2019

Morning by Morning, December 16 - "Favored One" Like Mary
 
Good morning, Lord Jesus. I seek Your face and listen for Your voice to begin my day embraced by My Father, centered in Christ, and filled with the Holy Spirit. ...
 
"In the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent by God to a town in Galilee called Nazareth, to a virgin engaged to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David. The virgin's name was Mary. And he came to her and said, 'Greetings, favored one! The Lord is with you.' But she was much perplexed by his words and pondered what sort of greeting this might be. The angel said to here, 'Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God...'" (Luke 1:26-30).
 
Mary "found favor with God." What does that mean, Lord? ...
 
Does it mean she earned it? Does it mean she was worthy of it? Does it mean she was sinless or perfect or worthy of worship herself? What does it mean for Mary? And what does it mean for me? ...
 
As I ponder my question like Mary pondered her greeting, some Scriptures come to mind:  "The Lord sees not as man sees; man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart" (1 Samuel 16:7). "For the eyes of the Lord range throughout the entire earth, to strengthen those whose heart is true to Him" (2 Chronicles 16:9).
 
What did You see when You saw Mary's heart?  ...
 
I think You saw the heart of one who knew they needed a Savior. She sang out, "My spirit rejoices in God my Savior!" (Luke 1:47). And I think You saw the heart of one who was quick to rejoice in the One who saves us. I think You saw the heart of one who was humble in Your sight, saying, "He has looked with favor on the lowliness of His servant" (Luke 1:48). I think You say the heart of one who was thankful and appreciative, not taking anything for granted, but giving You praise in all things, declaring, "The Mighty One has done great things for me and Holy is His name!" (Luke 1:49) And I think You say the heart of one who would be seek to be faithful to You and Your word and Your calling upon her life, responding from her heart, "Here am I, the servant of the Lord; let it be with me according to your word" (Luke 1:38).
 
You're the God "who searches our hearts" (Romans 8:27). You're the God who knows our thoughts (Luke 5:22). "O Lord of hosts, You who test the righteous, Who sees the mind and the heart" (Jeremiah 20:12). You see the end of the beginning and the beginning from the end; You see every desire of our heart, every thought of our mind, and every choice we'll make, even as You give us the freedom to make those choices that flow out of our hearts and minds (Isaiah 46:10).
 
So for Mary and for me and for all Your sons and daughters of God who are called by Your name, we don't earn Your favor or Your grace -- it is the free gift of God (Romans 3:24; Ephesians 2:9). And at the same time, we are called to be "found faithful" just as we are blessed to be those who have "found favor" (1 Corinthians 4:2). We can't deserve it; we can't earn it -- that only comes by the power of Your grace and the Presence of Your Spirit at work within each one of us -- "For God is working in (us), giving (us) the desire and the power to do what pleases Him" (Philippians 2:13 NLT).
 
Lord, I want to be "found faithful" as one who has "found favor" in You. By the power of Your grace, give me the desire and the power to do what pleases You -- with humility, thankfulness, faithfulness, obedience, and praise -- just like Mary. "Here am I, the servant of the Lord; let it be with me according to your word" (Luke 1:38). In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.
Be encouraged today! In the Love of Jesus, 
Tommy Hays


My friend, may you be favored by God, found faithful in Him by the power and grace of His Spirit alive and at work within you, in Jesus' name. Please pray the same for me. God bless you, my friend!

           

Thank you for joining with me on this daily journey of prayer. I write these from my morning prayer time most every day and send them out right away the same morning -- real prayers, expressed and shared in real time from my spiritual life. If you would like to have a collection of these as a 365 Day Prayer Devotional for you or a friend, please order a copy today. God bless you!

 



Tommy Hays | Messiah Ministries
Healing from the Inside Out
  
Pastoral Director | Rapha God Ministries
4 Dominion Drive, Building 1
San Antonio, Texas 78257

Please share this word to encourage a friend!