Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Morning by Morning, November 13 - No Place for "Stupid and Senseless Controversies"
 
Good morning, Lord Jesus. Help me hear Your heart for my life today -- Father, Son, and Holy Spirit of God. ...
 
"Shun youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart. Have nothing to do with stupid and senseless controversies; you know that they breed quarrels. And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kindly to everyone, an apt teacher, patient, correcting opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant that they will repent and come to know the truth, and that they may escape from the snare of the devil, having been held captive by him to do his will" (2 Timothy 2:22-26).
 
Lord, help me discern what are the "stupid and senseless controversies" that "breed quarrels." Help me discern "from a pure heart" with razor sharp discernment what is Your heart on the things that matter. Some controversies are "stupid and senseless" because they don't really matter; they're just snares of the devil to steal away my time and attention from the pursuit of "righteousness, faith, love, and peace" that do matter. Other controversies are "stupid and senseless" because they are just attempts to avoid the truth, disregard Your authority, justify sin, condone complacency, and maintain the kingdoms of this world instead of preparing the way of the Lord and the bride of Christ and the Kingdom of God. Give me grace to know the difference. Give me courage to take stand in the fights that matter and humility to stand down in the fights that don't (1 Timothy 6:12).
 
Is there only one way of salvation? Is there really a devil who sets snares to entrap us? Does life begin at conception or at some trimester in the womb or at birth or does it even matter if the rights and choices of the "mother" always trump the rights and choices of the "fetus"? Should women be preachers or pastors or elders or be able to speak at all in "a church building" or from behind "a pulpit" or in front of "men"? Is the sanctity of marriage, birth gender, human sexuality subject to the authority of Scripture or to any standard at all other than our own desire to do what's right in our own eyes as a law unto ourselves? Or is there even such a thing as "the authority of Scripture" and Divine inspiration or is "the Bible" just a series of writings and philosophies of angry or gullible men trying to figure out "God" and the way things seem to work in our world from their own distorted sense of self-importance and deceptive spirituality?
 
What's a senseless quarrel and what's a quest for truth? Where's the place to speak up and speak out and what's the time to listen and learn with humility and grace to consider a broader perspective? When should I be bold as a lion in the unity of agreement in the essentials and when should I be as gentle as a dove in charity for contrary opinions surrounding the non-essentials? ...
 
As I watch and wait before You, as I listen for Your leading in the silence of surrender, what's coming to my heart and up to my mind to form these thoughts is this:  "Apart from Me, you can do nothing. Let My Word be Your Standard and My Spirit be Your Guide. Seek Me first. Humble yourself in My sight. Trust My heart and My ways. Surrender in obedience to what you discern to be My leading. When you are wrong, I will correct you and redirect you. When you are right, I will confirm it to you and affirm your obedience. This is how I teach you and mature you, as you allow Me to put My thoughts in your mind and My desires in your heart to lead you in the paths of My righteousness."
 
Yes, Lord. By Your Word and Your Spirit, You will show me the way. "All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness" (2 Timothy 3:16). And You have given us Your Spirit to confirm to us Your Word and lead us in Your ways. "These things God has revealed to us through the Spirit; for the Spirit searches everything, even the depths of God.... Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit that is from God.... We have the mind of Christ" (1 Corinthians 2:10-16).
 
I need You, Lord. I'm not wise enough in my own wisdom to sort out any of this, but You are. And just as Your Word says, whenever I need wisdom and seek You for it, You will provide all I need (James 1:5). Just as when I need Your courage, Your humility, Your discernment, Your grace, Your correction, Your confirmation, You will provide all I need. "For the Lord God is a sun and shield; He bestows favor and honor. No good thing does the Lord withhold from those who walk uprightly" (Psalm 84:11). "Every good and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning" (James 1:17 NKJV).'
 
Lord, lead me. Because, Lord, I need You. I want to be "found faithful" in You (1 Corinthians 4:2). In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.
 
Be encouraged today! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays


My friend, may you be found faithful in Christ, grounded in God's Word and led by God's Spirit, in Jesus' name. Please pray the same for me. God bless you, my friend!

  

Tommy Hays | Messiah Ministries
Healing from the Inside Out
  
Pastoral Director | Rapha God Ministries
4 Dominion Drive, Building 1
San Antonio, Texas 78257

Please share this word to encourage a friend!