Friday, December 31, 2010

Morning by Morning, Dec 31 – First and Final Word of Love

Good morning, Lord Jesus. Good morning, Heavenly Father. Good morning, Holy Spirit. You are one God in three Persons, revealing three dimensions of Your Being, all united in pure and perfect love. And I have this lifetime and all the rest of eternity to seek You and love You, in response to Your perfect love for me. 

“So we have known and believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and those who abide in love abide in God, and God abides in them” (1 John 4:16).

This morning I’ve come to the end of another year of my journey of prayer—seeking Your face, listening for Your voice, following Your leading, as I seek to begin my day deliberately, intentionally centered in Christ, embraced by the Father, and filled with the Holy Spirit morning by morning. Most of these mornings, I’ve journaled my prayers in the expression of my heart of my best understanding of Yours. And every morning, You’ve drawn me into the place of excited expectation to listen to hear what You would speak to my heart and stir in my spirit. Thank You for the gift of this daily adventure and the blessing of calling me into this journey of prayer.

But after all the Scriptures, images, conversations, and encounters we’ve had in our communion of prayer along the way, You’ve brought me back to this foundational Word in these closing moments of this year:  “God is love.” That’s really the heart of it all, the foundation, the cornerstone, the bedrock, the be all and end all of coming to know You in the communion of prayer and the journey of life. This is the alpha and omega of knowing You. This is the beginning and end of any journey with You. As You said long ago, everything You’ve ever said to us through Your written Word or prophetic words are rooted and grounded in this nature of Your Being (Matthew 22:37).

So as I write these last words of this past year in my journal of prayer with You, I sing to You this simple song You’re writing now on my heart in my time with You. …

As I seek Your face
And embrace Your grace
I know I need Your love
More than life, more than breath
More than doing right or anything else
I know I need Your love

And I thank You Lord
For Your steadfast love
It is who You are to me
More than faithful, more than true
More than Your Word and all that’s good
I know You are Love to me

Yes, Lord. I know You are Love to me. Love is Your first and final word for me. Love is Your eternal word for me. And for all who will embrace You on the basis of Your love for them (John 3:16). I thank You for loving us enough to reveal to us this truth of who You truly are. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.
Be encouraged today! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays