Thursday, September 30, 2010

Life Lessons from a Horse Whisperer 9-30-10

Good morning, Lord Jesus. Make me more like You each day. … “For as he thinks in his heart, so is he” (Proverbs 23:6, NKJV). What happens in our hearts in what is most likely to happen in our lives. What moves our hearts is what will likely move us. Our words and actions are rooted and grounded in our inner beliefs and desires. “What comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart” (Matthew 15:18). Of course, we can fake it; we can even try to fool most of the people most of the time, but our truest words and actions are a reflection of our truest thoughts and desires. I had a chance to have lunch and spend some time with a “horse whisperer” yesterday, here with his team in Kentucky for the World Equestrian Games—Dr. Lew Sterrett of Sermon on the Mount Ministries and author of Life Lessons from a Horse Whisperer. He uses Biblical principles to train riders and their horses, following Your ancient principles of life that apply to humans, animals, and all of Your creation. With the gifts You’ve given him, he can consistently take a horse that’s never been ridden and have him honestly desiring to obey and please his master in a matter of hours. And as he speaks from the mount of a horse, he teaches Your Word and Your principles of relationship and leadership as he trains a horse to fulfill its purpose and calling. Dr. Lew and his wife Mary were talking with me about the key principle of the heart. We can go through the motions with our actions, but it’s what’s in the heart that matters. If our hearts have been damaged by others, we’re likely to respond to others in damaged ways until our hearts are healed and changed. We can respond to the external pressures and problems of life by what we think the tyranny of the moment demands, but our lives are out of order and inconsistent if our hearts are not in it. “Pressure can always be used to demand change, but unless change comes from the inward desire, the heart, it usually doesn’t last.” Lord Jesus, change my heart. Make it pure and true. Let Your Holy Spirit form Your thoughts in my mind and Your desires in my heart. Let me become a son in the nature of my Father. Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, make me more like You each day. Teach me and train me to respond with confidence and joy to the gentle pressure of Your leading and the consistent whisper of Your voice. Let my words and actions be true because my heart is right. “You desire truth in (my) inward being; therefore teach me wisdom in my secret heart…. Create in me a clean heart, O God, and put a new and right spirit within me” (Psalm 51:6-10). In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen. Be encouraged today! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays Friends, I'll be leaving on Friday for our ministry trip to Wales. Heather and Bob Butler of Hidden Treasures Ministries in Wales have invited us and provided for us to preach and pray at revival meetings and prayer gatherings all over the country in our Encounter Wales! revival campaign. If you'd like to be on our interactive intercessory prayer team, please let me know and I'll get you on our email prayer team list. Thank you and God bless you! Subscribe for free by email to me at Messiah Ministries: MessiahMin@aol.com -- "Preparing the Way of the Lord ... Ministering the Healing Love of God" www.messiah-ministries.org To order my books and our ministry resources or contribute to our ministry on-line: www.shop.messiah-ministries.org Messiah Ministries; 2800 Tates Creek Rd; Lexington, KY 40502 God bless you!