Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Sometimes He "Makes" Us Get Into the Boat to Cross Over to the Other Side - Morning by Morning, May 12, 2020

Morning by Morning, May 12 - Sometimes He "Makes" Us Get Into the Boat to Cross Over to the Other Side
 
Good morning, Lord Jesus. You're my Lord and Savior, and I surrender my life and every moment of my day into Your hands --You're nail-scarred hands that remind me every morning of all Your mercy and love for me. ...
 
"Immediately (Jesus) made His disciples get into the boat and go on ahead to the other side, to Bethsaida, while He dismissed the crowd. After saying farewell to them, He went up on the mountain to pray. When evening came, the boat was out on the sea, and He was alone on the land. When He saw that they were straining at the oars against an adverse wind, He came towards them early in the morning, walking on the sea. He intended to pass them by. But when they saw Him walking on the sea, they thought it was a ghost and cried out; for they all saw Him and were terrified. But immediately He spoke to them and said, 'Take heart, it is I; do not be afraid!' Then He got into the boat with them and the wind ceased. And they were utterly astounded..." (Mark 6:45-51).
 
Your Word says You "made" Your disciples get into the boat to "go on ahead to the other side."
 
You weren't being mean or controlling. You weren't forcing them to do something they didn't want to do, because each one of them already made the choice before this day to let go of the lives they had and take hold of the life You offered to get up and go on and follow You. This was just another step of obedience, just another step of faith, just another step of surrender to keep learning to fully trust You and fully depend upon You to lead them into all You had for them and all You would do through them. You were making disciples of them.
 
So sometimes in Your mercy and love You have to "make" us take the next step. It's the only way we'll ever "go on ahead" to what You have next. You know our nature. We can get too comfortable with how it's always been. We can get too secure in what we think we have now. We can get too resistant to the nudges of Your Spirit and the sensing of Your calling to get up and come on because it's time to go on ahead to the next season of the journey to maturity in Christ.
 
There were some "adverse winds" they were about to encounter. There was some "straining at the oars" that was set before them. There were some scary things Your disciples were about to face. But the scariest thing turned out to be You all along! 
 
You were not a ghost coming to scare them. You were their Savior coming to get them to the other side. So in the midst of their fears and confusion, You once again spoke Your words of spirit and life into their hearts -- Spirit to spirit, Heart to heart, Deep to deep -- saying, "Take heart, it is I; do not be afraid!"
 
There's so much in this Word You are speaking to me today. I feel like I could preach a sermon right now! But I know I'm the one who needs to hear Your sermon right now. I'm the one who needs to hear Your words of spirit and life in my heart -- Spirit to spirit, Heart to heart, Deep to deep. ...
 
I believe I hear You speaking in my heart, "Don't be afraid. Get in the boat. We're going to the other side. I'll be with you. I'll come and meet you were you are. And as you know by now, I'll never leave you as you are. I'm making you into a faithful disciple who will make many disciples, all in My name and all by the power of My grace." ...
 
Yes, Lord. Yes, my Lord and my Savior. Give me grace to hear Your voice and follow You. Give me courage and grace to get into the boat and go on ahead to the other side into all You have next. Even if You have to "make" me. Because I do trust Your mercy and love for me. And I do trust Your work within me to make me Your disciple -- step by step, morning by morning, day by day, from glory to glory in You.
 
I do notice, as I peak ahead just a moment, that when those disciples of Yours got to the other side, amazing things started to happen! Probably even exceedingly, abundantly more than they could ever ask or imagine!
 
"When they had crossed over, they came to land at Gennesaret and moored the boat. When they got out of the boat, people at once recognized (Jesus) and rushed about that whole region and began to bring the sick on mats to wherever they heard He was. And wherever He went, into villages or cities or farms, they laid the sick in the marketplaces, and begged Him that they might touch even the fringe of His cloak; and all who touched it were healed!" (Mark 6:53-56)
 
Praise God! But that sounds like a sermon for another day. Today, just help me get into that boat. ...
 
In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Be encouraged today! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays

My Friend, may you hear in your heart the words of spirit and life of Jesus speaking Spirit to spirit, Heart to heart, Deep to deep, to give you courage to get into the boat, to follow Him, to cross over to the other side into all He has for you, in Jesus' name. Please pray the same for me. God bless you, my friend!

                  

Daily Prayer Journey with Tommy Hays


Please share this word to encourage a friend!