Friday, February 09, 2007

Old and New 2-9-07

Good morning, Lord Jesus. By Your Holy Spirit, I come to the Father, through Jesus the Son. I give You the glory, great things You have done. As the old hymn says, I praise You, Lord, and I rejoice. ... "He also told them a parable: 'No one tears a piece from a new garment and sows it on an old garment; otherwise the new will be torn, and the piece from the new will not match the old. And no one puts new wine into old wineskins; otherwise the new wine will burst the old wine skins and will be spilled, and the skins will be destroyed. But new wine must be put into fresh wineskins. And no one after drinking old wine desires new wine, but says, 'The old is better " (Luke 5:36-39). Lord, You speak to me in many ways. Yesterday You were speaking to me in a very simple way through my new office chair. I have had my old one for nearly ten years, since the first days of our ministry. The old one was very comfortable, but it didn't really ever match the rest of my furniture. Of all the people who have come through my office for prayer ministry and spiritual direction through the years, I don't think anyone has ever commented about whether my furniture matched or not, and probably no one ever cared. But the honest truth is, I did. It mattered to me. But I always would think I should spend the money on other things, that my old chair was pretty comfortable, that I didn't have the time to spend trying to find something else, and on and on. Finally, after ten years, I ordered a new chair -- one that perfectly matches my new side chair, but amazingly also perfectly matches my old blue leather couch. As I sat back in it for the first time, I sensed a settled peace in the new beauty of my cozy little office. And it seems I heard You say to my heart: "My son, I am setting all things in order. I am blending the old with the new in the ministry I have entrusted to you, and it will match beautifully. Do not fear letting go of some of the old things that have served you well for their season, but gladly receive the new things I am bringing into Your life and ministry for My purposes. You are a prayer minister and a spiritual director. I am teaching you to serve and to lead. Keep seeking Me in prayer and teaching others to pray; keep seeking My direction and helping others find theirs'. And I will keep pouring the new wine of My Spirit into your spirit. And you will know the settled peace of My presence and My order, as I conform your heart and your ministry to Mine in ever increasing measures." Yes, Lord. Give me the courage to release the past where I need to, and the faith to embrace the future where You lead me. Conform every area of my life and ministry into the plans and purposes You have desired for me since "before the foundation of the world" to "accomplish all things" according to Your wise "counsel and will" -- all in accordance with Your perfect "plan for the fullness of time" (Ephesians 1:3-14). In Jesus' name I pray, Amen. Be encouraged today! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays Friends, I will be teaching on Spiritual Warfare dimension of prayer as one of the afternoon workshops for the regional missions conference my home church is hosting this Saturday, February 10 called "Gear Up! Reach Out!" All are welcome. Call Centenary United Methodist Church in Lexington for registration details 859-269-2800 or www.centenarylex.org To subscribe/unsubscribe, please send a note to me at Messiah Ministries -- MessiahMin@aol.com -- "Ministering the Healing Love of God ... Preparing the Way of the Lord." 2800 Tates Creek Rd; Lexington, KY 40502 www.messiah-ministries.org Daily Archives: www.morningbymorning.injesus.com . Come to The Fountain! on the 3rd Friday night of every month for our ministry's gathering of the body of Christ from every tradition and stream to worship the Lord in Sprit and in Truth. Come drink deeply from the Living Waters in the freedom of the Spirit. 7 pm in the chapel at Centenary. All are welcome. Call for details: 859-422-1794