Friday, October 06, 2006

Justice, Mercy, and Faith 10-6-06

Good morning, Lord Jesus. I fall so short of Your glory and I am forever in need of Your grace. Help me grow in the knowledge of Your nature and Your ways as You lead me through the steps of this day. ... "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint, dill, and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith. It is these you ought to have practiced without neglecting others. You blind guides! You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel!" (Matthew 23:23-24). The weightier matters of the law are justice and mercy and faith. These are weighty matters because there are no easy answers. Sometimes we find ourselves in need of justice and sometimes in need of mercy, but always in need of faith to trust You to lead us through the decisions and challenges of our lives. To become legalistic or dogmatic in demanding either justice or mercy without seeking to follow You in faith is to be a blind guide, bound up in rules rather than relationship, subjecting ourselves and others to law without grace or grace without law. But in Your holy ways, You do both. Even in Your judgment, You remember mercy (Habakkuk 3:2). As both a prayer minister and trial lawyer, I have often found myself wrestling between these two equal, guiding truths and spiritual principles -- to seek both Your justice and Your mercy for myself and for others. You call us to "hold fast to love and justice, and wait continually for your God" (Hosea 12:6). Which means there are no easy answers in these weighty matters. So faith in Your wisdom and trust in Your nature brings me to my knees to seek Your face and Your leading, spreading each matter as it comes before the throne of Your will in humility and prayer. There You remind me of Your high standards that I can only live out in the power of Your grace: "He has shown you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God" (Micah 6:8, NKJV). Help me walk humbly with You, Lord, looking to You in faith and prayer so I can walk before You and others in both justice and mercy as You lead. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen. Be encouraged today! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays Friends, please come join us if you can and spread the word about our one day inner healing conference of teaching, worship, and healing ministry in Lexington on Saturday, October 14th: "From Brokenness to Breakthrough -- healing from grief, sorrow, trauma, and pain in a broken world." We will hold this in The Foundry at my home church, Centenary UMC, 2800 Tates Creek Rd from 9 am to 9 pm (Morning and Afternoon teaching, worship, and ministry; Evening healing service). Please come if you can and please keep us in prayer. Pre-register by contacting Marilyn Walker, our Director of Ministries at 859-317-1591 or email at DirOfMinistries@aol.com Please forward this note and spread the word to your church and friends! To subscribe/unsubscribe or to order my teaching and prayer dvd's and cd's for spiritual transformation, write to me at Messiah Ministries MessiahMin@aol.com -- "Preparing the Way of the Lord." 2800 Tates Creek Rd; Lexington, Kentucky 40502: www.messiah-ministries.org Daily archives of my devotional: www.morningbymorning.injesus.com