Thursday, March 30, 2023

Jesus “Set His Face” Toward the Suffering of the Cross for Us - March 30 2023

 

Morning by Morning, March 30 - Jesus “Set His Face” Toward the Suffering of the Cross for Us

 

Good morning, Lord Jesus. Take me by the heart and lead me by Your hand into all You have for me today -- Father, Son, and Holy Spirit of God. ...

 

“Now it came to pass, when the time had come for Him to be received up, that He steadfastly set His face to go to Jerusalem” (Luke 9:51).

 

No holding back. No distractions. No retreat.

 

You knew in Your heart what was set before You in Jerusalem. As the old hymn expresses so well:

 

On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross

The emblem of suffering and shame.

And I love that old cross where the dearest and best

For a world of lost sinners was slain.

 

But You were determined to go. Just as the Prophet Isaiah had declared nearly eight hundred years before of You and Your heart of determination that day:

 

“The Lord God has opened My ear;

And I was not rebellious,

Nor did I turn away.

I gave My back to those who struck Me,

And My cheeks to those who plucked out the beard;

I did not hide My face from shame and spitting.

‘For the Lord God will help Me;

Therefore I will not be disgraced;

Therefore I have set My face like a flint,

And I know that I will not be ashamed” (Isaiah 50:5-7)

 

No one took Your life from You. You willing laid down Your life for us, in obedience to the Father by the power of the Holy Spirit on behalf of every soul that our sins could be forgiven and our lives could be full and fulfilled in You for all eternity if we would trust in You and what You did for us. As You said:

 

“Therefore My Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again. No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This command I have received from My Father” (John 10:17-19).

 

You set Your face like flint toward Jerusalem, toward that old rugged cross, in determination, in obedience, and in love. You knew the cost, You knew the suffering -- not just the physical suffering of the scourging and crucifixion, not just the emotional suffering of the ridicule and mockery of rejection, but most of all the spiritual suffering that You would take upon Yourself all the sins of the world to be separated from the Father in that dimension of Your Being as the suffering Son of Man for us and all that would separate us from God in that moment You gave up Your spirit and poured out Your Blood and declared, “It is finished” (John 19:30).

 

Because You set Your face like flint to go the cross for us, we can determine by Your grace to set our face toward You. By the power of Your grace, only available to us through Your suffering and death and resurrection, we can embrace the calling and challenge of Your Word in the power of Your Spirit, surrounded by the faithful witness of the generations who have gone before us:

 

“Let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God” (Hebrews 12:1-2).

 

Fill my heart with that determination today -- this day and every day -- to set my face toward You, just like You set Your face toward all You willingly suffered and endured for me. Let that bring You joy, that You may receive Your full reward of the joy that was set before You. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

 

My friend, may you set your face toward Jesus and embrace all the grace He made available to you through the suffering of His cross, in Jesus' name. God bless you!



Tommy Hays | Messiah Ministries

Mailing Address:

412 S. Adams Street #148

Fredericksburg, Texas 78624


Please share this word to encourage a friend!

Anyone can sign up for free at:

https://messiah-ministries.org

Please Keep us in Prayer for These

Messiah Ministries Events


April 1-8

Spring Break in New Mexico with my son Josiah and family


April 13-15

School of the Prophets at MorningStar Ministries


April 16

Teaching my 6 Week Series on Free to Be Like Jesus at Bridge Church on Sunday Mornings at 9:00am in Fredericksburg, TX

Spiritual Freedom, Maturity, and Authority (April 16 to May 21)

Based on my Books Free to Be Like Jesus and First the Spirit

https://www.amazon.com/author/tommyhays


April 18

Opening Prayer at the City Council Meeting of Fredericksburg, TX


April 21-22

Preaching Revival at the Barn! 6pm Each Night

The Barn behind Yee Haw Ranch Outfitters in Fredericksburg, Texas

Please come and start spreading the word as we pray for Revival!


April 24-27

Fellowship of Ministries Retreat with MorningStar Ministries

My wife Rocio Caballero Hays will be Ordained!


April 29

Officiating the Wedding of Karen Lindsay's Daughter Sarah and John


May 5

Next Messiah Ministries' Men's Retreat in the Texas Hill Country.

All men are welcome! We had fantastic feedback from our "pilot" retreat in February. Send me an email if you are interested!


May 10

Speaking at San Antonio Aglow International Ministries - Day Time Lighthouse. 10 to Noon. Contact: sa.day.aglow@gmail.com

 

May 25-29

Ministry in Mexico City at several churches and different settings for inner healing, deliverance, evangelism, and prayer for revival.


June 1

Speaking at Boerne, Texas Lighthouse of Aglow International Ministries. The Kendall Inn at 7pm


July 17-31

Preaching an Evangelistic Crusade in Kenya!


Tuesday Nights (September through May)

Teaching my Free to Be Like Jesus course at Bridge Church in Fredericksburg, Texas 6-8pm.


Wednesday Mornings

Joining with MorningStar Ministries to Lead Online Restoration Ministry Sessions for Online Connect Groups from around the world.

 

Personal Ministry Appointments

Spiritual Direction Sessions and Personal Prayer Ministry Sessions of Inner Healing & Spiritual Freedom by Appointment and as the Holy Spirit leads. Please keep us in prayer for spiritual breakthrough and transformation! Let us know if you'd like to set up a session: 

tommyhays@messiah-ministries.org

 

Sessions are without cost and all contributions help support the calling and vision of Messiah Ministries.

https://messiah-ministries.org/partner/contribute

Free On-line Video Series: Setting Hearts Free!

My Core Teaching and Ministry

https://messiah-ministries.org/resources

Order these Spiritual Books by Tommy Hays Today!

https://www.amazon.com/author/tommyhays