Friday, January 12, 2007

"Enemies of the Cross" 1-12-07

Good morning, Lord Jesus. I center my thoughts and open my heart to You. ... "For many live as enemies of the cross of Christ, I have often told you of them, and now I tell you even with tears. Their end is destruction; their god is the belly; and their glory is in their shame; their minds are set on earthly things. But our citizenship is in heaven, and it is from there that we are expecting a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ" (Philippians 3:18-20). There are enemies of the cross of Christ who are not radical followers of another faith or fanatical persecutors of the Christian faith. There are enemies of the cross of Christ who actually claim the name of Christ. For these, it's not Christ they hate; it's the cross they hate. Somewhere along the way they have prayed the sinner's prayer, made a decision for Christ that the gospel is true, go to church on Sunday, and even have a Bible on display in their home. But down inside, they hate the cross of Christ. They hate the very idea of dependence on You, of obedience to You and Your Word, of standing apart from the ways of the world, of standing up for the way of the cross -- the way of death to self will and submission to Your will. Beneath the veneered surface of their hypocrisy, they are inwardly disgusted by very words of humility, meekness, sacrifice, and submission. Forgive me, Lord, where I have been an enemy of the cross of Christ. You continue to warn Your would-be disciples, "Whoever does not take up the cross and follow Me is not worthy of Me" (Matthew 10:38). Give me the courage and humility to take up the cross and follow You -- not just hang one on my wall or wear it around my neck, or let someone keep it shiny and polished at the front of my church. Let it be a call to be crucified to this world, to come apart and take a stand -- in dependence on You and in defiance of the ways of the world. "Adulterers! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God. Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God" (James 4:4). I don't want to be an enemy of God or Your cross. I don't want to submit my life to any God but You. So give me courage to embrace the cross and follow You as a faithful friend rather than a faking foe. Let my life be true and truly Yours. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen. Be encouraged today! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays To subscribe/unsubscribe, please send a note to me at Messiah Ministries -- MessiahMin@aol.com -- "Ministering the Healing Love of God ... Preparing the Way of the Lord." 2800 Tates Creek Rd; Lexington, KY 40502 www.messiah-ministries.org Daily Archives: www.morningbymorning.injesus.com . Come to The Fountain! on the 3rd Friday night of every month for our ministry's gathering of the body of Christ from every tradition and stream to worship the Lord in Sprit and in Truth. Come drink deeply from the Living Waters in the freedom of the Spirit. 7 pm in the chapel at Centenary. All are welcome. Call for details: 859-422-1794