Thursday, March 08, 2012

"Like a Weaned Child" - March 8

Good morning, Lord Jesus. I lift up my eyes and speak out Your name and open up my spirit to draw near to You in my morning time of communion in prayer. ...

"O Lord, my heart is not lifted up, my eyes are not raised too high; I do not occupy myself with things too great and too marvelous for me. But I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with its mother; my soul within me is like a weaned child" (Psalm 131:1-2).


I can be calm and quiet in my soul to the degree that I can be content to trust in You. The more I trust in You, the more I will grow in the contentment of Your peace. In that peace, I no longer have to strive and strain, worry and fear, try to make things happen, or insist on my own way. I can rest in the trust that You're watching over me, guiding the steps of my life, with my best interest at heart - like a mother's love for her growing child.


A weaned child has grown beyond the need for the mother's milk, but feels just as secure and content in the mother's presence and love. Through the season of weaning, there's much fighting and frustration, fear change, trying to insist that things remain the same. But You've created us to grow up beyond the milk and onto the meat. "For everyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is unskilled in the word of righteousness. But solid food is for the mature, for those who faculties have been trained by practice to distinguish good from evil" (Hebrew 5:13-15).


Lord, help me keep growing up in spirit and truth. Help me let go of what I felt I needed for security and provision in the past so I can fully embrace all that You have for me now. Help me have the courage to "put an end to childish ways" so I can keep growing up in Your ways (1 Corinthians 13:11). In this journey to maturity, help me be content; help me be calm and quiet in my soul, as I keep trusting You to know what's best for me. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

Be encouraged today! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays

Friends, please keep us in prayer as Sylvia and I preach and minister at St. Andrew United Methodist Church this Sunday with good friends Pastor Rob and Vicki Hughes ( http://www.welcometostandrew.com ).

Be empowered, equipped, and encouraged to fulfill your destiny in Christ!
Tommy & Sylvia Hays | Messiah Ministries