Thursday, March 05, 2020

Morning by Morning, March 5 - "Keeping Our Eyes on Jesus"
 
Good morning, Lord Jesus. I speak out Your name and give You praise for who You are, for all You've done, and for all You're going to do in my life and in my world in these exciting days. ...
 
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the Champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting Him, He endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now He is seated in the place of honor beside God's throne" (Hebrews 12:1-2 NLT).
 
My Father God, there is a "race" You've set before me. It's not a rat race; it's not a race to the top; it's not a race to see who's first or who's best or who's fastest or who's smartest or who can make the most money or who can have the best time. It's the race You've set before me. And it's a race that only I can run.
 
So how do I keep on track? How do I stay the course? How do I keep from dragging along weight that would slow me down or from giving in to the sin that would trip me up? ... "By keeping (my) eyes on Jesus."
 
Holy Spirit of God, keep lifting my eyes to Jesus. That's Your heart, that's what You're always doing -- lifting our eyes to Jesus, glorifying Jesus, pointing us to the One who is the Truth -- "the Way and the Truth and the Life" (John 14:6). As the Lord Jesus said of You, "When the Spirit of Truth comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own, but will speak whatever He hears, and He will declare to You the things that are to come. He will glorify Me, because He will take what is Mine and declare it to you. All that the Father has is Mine. For this reason I said that He will take what is Mine and declare it to you" (John 16:13-15 NRSV). 
 
Lord Jesus, I lift my eyes to You. By the tender mercies of my Father, by the leading of Your Holy Spirit, I seek to keep my eyes on You. I seek to look to the One who is "the Author and Finisher of (my) faith" (NKJV), "the Pioneer and Perfecter of (my) faith" (NRSV), "the Champion who initiates and perfects (my) faith" (Hebrews 12:2 NLT).
 
That's how I keep from being distracted. That's how I endure and persevere on the right path to run my race that's You've set before me, Lord God -- Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. My Lord and Savior is Jesus. My Example is Jesus. My Mentor and Model is Jesus. That's how I'm changed into the image of Jesus, by beholding Jesus, by keeping my eyes on Jesus (2 Corinthians 3:18). That's how I follow Jesus (Matthew 4:19), by listening to the voice of Jesus (John 10:4).
 
When Stephen was being stoned to death for running his race with endurance to the end, for fighting the good fight of the faith through his last battle, he looked up to You in the heavens. He kept his eyes on You and called on Your name:  "While they were stoning Stephen, he prayed, 'Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.' Then he knelt down and cried out in a loud voice, 'Lord, do not hold this sin against them.' When he had said this, he died" (Acts 7:59-60). He ran his race well and he finished his race well.
 
Lord Jesus, I want to keep looking to You. I want to keep my eyes on You. I want to hear Your voice, walk in Your ways, and follow You wherever You lead and whatever it costs. Until I finish my race and fight my last battle, I want to be found faithful in You. I want to run my race well and finish my race well -- the race You have set before me, that only I can run. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Be encouraged today! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays


My friend, may you run your race well and finish your race well, free from whatever would weigh you down, free from whatever would trip you up, keeping your eyes on Jesus, in Jesus' name. Please pray the same for me. God bless you, my friend!



 

   


Tommy Hays | Messiah Ministries
Healing from the Inside Out
  
Pastoral Director | Rapha God Ministries
4 Dominion Drive, Building 1
San Antonio, Texas 78257

Please share this word to encourage a friend!