Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Forty Days 3-21-06

Good morning, Lord Jesus. In these first moments of the morning, I turn my eyes toward You, opening my heart to Your Holy Spirit and resting in the arms of my Father, here in the communion of prayer. ... "Then Moses went up on the mountain, and the cloud covered the mountain. The glory of the Lord settled on Mount Sinai, and the cloud covered it for six days; on the seventh day He called to Moses out of the cloud. Now the appearance of the glory of the Lord was like a devouring fire on the top of the mountain in the sight of the people of Israel. Moses entered the cloud, and went up on the mountain. Moses was on the mountain for forty day and forty nights" (Exodus 24:15-18). Lord, You have called me again this year to a season of fasting for forty days from to the repentance of Ash Wednesday to the resurrection of Easter Sunday. Thank You for allowing me the grace of juices of fruit and fluids of vitamins to help sustain my strength and health. You are drawing me up to the mountain of Your presence; but the closer I come, the more Your devouring fire is revealing and consuming my flesh -- the unsanctified areas of my soul that are not yet like Jesus. Like Isaiah, the more I behold Your glory, the more I find myself crying out in my spirit, "Woe is me! I am lost, for I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips; yet my eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts!" (Isaiah 6:5). John Wesley charged his preachers with nineteen questions to affirm their calling and commitment to You before commissioning them as ambassadors of Your gospel. At ordination, I also affirmed those historic vows as a Methodist minister -- one of "Mr. Wesley's preachers," but above all, one of Your preachers. Question sixteen affirms the spiritual discipline of fasting as a means of growing in holiness of heart and life: "Will you recommend fasting and abstinence, both by precept and example?" -- to teach it and to live it. Fasting speaks of the process of sanctification and spiritual transformation -- death to the indulgences of our own desires of the flesh in order to be awakened to a life of the desires of the Your Spirit. "So then, brothers and sisters, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh -- for if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. For all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God ... and if children, then heirs, heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ -- if, in fact, we suffer with Him so that we also may be glorified with Him" (Romans 8:12-17). By grace You have called me to this process, and by grace You are bringing me through it. Morning by morning and day by day, I become more desperate and dependent upon You alone. May this season of fasting be a means of Your grace to join in the struggle of Your suffering, as it becomes a means of Your grace to join the joy of Your resurrection. "He fasted forty days and forty nights, and afterwards He was famished" (Matthew 4:2). Lord, make me more famished still for You, for Your Word, and for Your Spirit. I stand on Your promise by faith, "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled" (verse 5:6). In Jesus' name I pray, Amen. Be encouraged this day! In the Love of Jesus, Tommy Hays Friends, please join with me in praying for Rev. Jeffrey Bealmear and his mission team as he preaches and ministers to the people of Honduras this coming week. To subscribe/unsubscribe, or to order my teaching and prayer dvd's for spiritual transformation through inner healing and deliverance, please send a note to me at Messiah Ministries MessiahMin@aol.com -- "Preparing the Way of the Lord." Address: 2800 Tates Creek Rd; Lexington, Kentucky 40502.On the Web: http://www.messiah-ministries.orgCome to The Fountain the 3rd Friday night of every month at 7 pm for our citywide gathering for prayer and worship in the chapel. Daily archives: http://morningbymorning.injesus.com